|1st||7:03||BPR||1-0||EV||Brianna Decker||Gigi Marvin, Blake Bolden|
|2nd||5:38||BC||1-1||PP||Caitrin Lonergan||Kali Flanagan, Tori Sullivan|
|2nd||19:18||BPR||2-1||EV||Alex Carpenter||Rachel Llanes, Meghan Duggan|
|3rd||6:26||BPR||3-1||PP GW||Gigi Marvin||Amanda Pelkey, Alyssa Gagliardi|
|3rd||15:00||BC||2-3||EV||Megan Keller||Kenzie Kent, Toni Ann Miano|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|Boston Pride Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Lauren Slebodnick (W)||30:05||1||0||6||5||11|
|Boston College Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Katie Burt (L)||59:00||3||10||4||8||22|
CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The third-ranked Boston College women's hockey team played the first collegiate hockey game of the 2016-17 season on Thursday night, falling 3-2 to the Boston Pride of the National Women's Hockey League (NWHL) in an exhibition game at Kelley Rink.
Freshman Caitrin Lonergan and junior Megan Keller scored BC's two goals, while a trio of past and present U.S. Olympians - Brianna Decker, Alex Carpenter and Gigi Marvin - scored the Pride's three goals. Carpenter's tally stood as the game-winning goal against her former team.
After the Pride out-shot the Eagles 11-2 in the first period, BC stormed back and controlled the second period with a 12-5 shot advantage buoyed by three power-play opportunities. Overall, the Pride out-shot Boston College 25-20 in the game.
Decker gave the Pride a 1-0 lead at 14:02 in the first when she took a pass from Marvin and split the Eagles' defense for a clear shot on goaltender Katie Burt from close range. Former BC All-American Blake Bolden also picked up an assist on the goal.
Boston College knotted it up at 5:38 of the second period, converting a 5-on-3 power play opportunity. Tori Sullivan picked the puck up at the near boards and played Kali Flanagan at the center point. Flanagan's blast trickled through under Pride goaltender Brittany Ott where Lonergan poked it home on the edge of the crease.
Just before the end of the second period, a familiar name to Eagles fans popped up on the scoreboard when Carpenter - the 2015 Patty Kazmaier Award winner as the national player of the year - beat Burt with a one-timer from the slot.
The Pride extended its lead 6:26 into the third when Marvin's blast from the point snuck through under Burt while the Pride was on the power play. Amanda Pelkey and Alyssa Gagliardi earned assists on the goal.
With the teams playing 4-on-4 after penalties for Team USA captain Meghan Duggan and BC's Makenna Newkirk, Megan Keller pulled the Eagles within a goal with 5:00 left in the third period. Kenzie Kent and Toni Ann Miano set up the goal, which Keller hammered home from the doorstep.
The Eagles went for the equalizer with just over 2:00 to play by pulling Burt and adding the extra attacker, but as the team was in the middle of a line change, the puck coasted into a gaggle of Eagles near the bench and the team was whistled for a too many men penalty.
Burt finished the game with 22 saves.
Boston College will play a second and final exhibition game tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 23, at Kelley Rink when they welcome Canadian-based club team Cambridge Rivulettes for a 7 p.m. faceoff. Next weekend, the Eagles formally open the 2016-17 season when they travel to play Minnesota Duluth for a two-game set on Friday, Sept. 30 and Saturday, Oct. 1
- A total of five Boston College alums played for the Pride: Lexi Bender '16, Blake Bolden '13, Alex Carpenter '16, Emily Field '15 and Maggie Taverna '09
- All 24 Boston College players dressed for the game
- Six of the Eagles' freshmen saw action in their first contest in Maroon and Gold: Kate Annese, Delaney Belinskas, Caitrin Lonergan, Bridget McCarthy, Rachel Moore and Caroline Ross
- Additionally, sophomore Erin Connolly saw her first minutes in a BC sweater after sitting out the 2015-16 season
- The two team's rosters feature a total of 15 players who participated in August's U.S. Women's National Team's annual National Festival.
- From Boston College: Grace Bizal, Katie Burt, Kali Flanagan, Megan Keller, Caitrin Lonergan, Makenna Newkirk,
- From the Pride: Kacey Bellamy, Lexi Bender, Alex Carpenter, Brianna Decker, Meghan Duggan, Zoe Hickel, Hilary Knight (did not play tonight), Gigi Marvin, Amanda Pelkey