Junior forward Jennifer More nets game-tying goal for Black Bears

Junior forward Jennifer More scored the game-tying goal for the Black Bears

DURHAM, N.H. - Cassandra Vilgrain (Calgary, Alberta) scored her first career goal and Heather Kashman (Edmonton, Alberta) netted her second goal of the season as the University of New Hampshire women's ice hockey team erased an early 1-0 deficit to earn Sunday afternoon's 2-2 overtime tie with Maine at the Whittemore Center.

UNH, which extended its unbeaten streak in the series to four games (2-0-2), is now 2-2-1 overall and 0-0-1 in Hockey East. Maine is 0-1-1 both overall and in the league.

Maine goaltender Meghann Treacy recorded 50 saves with double-digit saves all three periods of regulation (17-14-15) and four in overtime. UNH goalie Vilma Vaattovaara (Veikkola, Finland) stopped two shots in OT as part of her 17-save effort.

The Black Bears took a 1-0 lead at 15:03 of the first period when Kayla Kaluzny, positioned off the right post, swept a pass to the top of the crease and Emilie Brigham shot the puck into the open left side of the cage.

Maine led by that one-goal advantage at the first intermission despite UNH's 17-5 shot advantage through 20 minutes.

The Wildcats tied the score, 1-1 at 10:02 of the second period, on Vilgrain's first career goal. Hannah Armstrong (Keswick, Ontario) initiated the scoring sequence from behind the net with a pass to Caroline Broderick (Marblehead, Mass.) at the right point. Broderick's slapshot was redirected into the net by Vilgrain.

UNH struck again at 12:47 to take a 2-1 lead. From behind the net on the left side, Jenna Lascelle (Cornwall, Ontario) found Kashman at the right post and she tucked the puck into the net for her second goal of the season.

The Wildcats recorded a 16-5 edge in shots during the second stanza for a cumulative 33-10 advantage through 40 minutes.

Late in the third period, Vaattovaara stopped Anna Wright on an odd-man rush, but the Wildcats were whistled for holding and Maine went on its third power play of the game at 15:10. The Black Bears called time out at 16:24, then pulled Treacy in favor of on extra skater at 16:55. She was reinserted into the net eight seconds later but once again exited the game at 17:30.

Maine took advantage of the extra attacker by crashing the net and Jennifer More, who was part of a scrum at the left doorstep, jammed the puck inside the left post to tie the score, 2-2, at 17:37.

UNH tallied a 15-7 shot advantage in the third period for a 48-17 edge in regulation.

The 'Cats were whistled for icing at 1:27 of the extra session and called their timeout. The visitors won the ensuing faceoff, but Brittney Huneke's shot was off target and UNH subsequently cleared the puck into the neutral zone.

At the other end of the ice, Treacy denied Alexis Crossley (Cole Harbour, Maine) and then in the closing minute she also stopped Arielle O'Neill (St. Catharines, Ontario).

New Hampshire returns to action Oct. 16 (7 p.m.) at Boston College. The Wildcats' next home game is Nov. 1 (7 p.m.) vs. Boston University.