Freshman defenseman Alexis Crossley scored the game-tying goal for the Wildcats

DURHAM, N.H. - The University of New Hampshire women's hockey team skated to a 2-2 draw against the University of Maine Saturday afternoon at the Whittemore Center. The Wildcats are now 13-15-4 on the year and to 9-8-3 in conference action while the Black Bears are now 5-22-4 overall and 2-15-3 in Hockey East play.

Chloe Tinkler gave the Black Bears a 1-0 lead at the 2:35 mark of the first period after finding the puck in front of the net. Maine's Jennifer More skated in with the puck and had it poked away by UNH defender Megan Armstrong (Edina, Minn.), but Tinkler found the puck just outside the crease and put it in the net.

The Black Bears increased their lead to 2-0 when Brittany Dougherty scored on a rebound. Kayla Kaluzny passed the puck to Hailey Browne who then took a shot. It was initially saved by Wildcat Jenn Gilligan (Maple Ridge, British Columbia), but Dougherty found the rebound for the goal.

New Hampshire's Caroline Broderick (Marblehead, Mass.) paced the Wildcat offense in the first period with a pair of shots on goal. At the end of the first stanza, Maine held a 2-0 lead.

Just 36 seconds into the second period, Hannah Armstrong (Newmarket, Ontario) cut Maine's lead to one goal as she netted her 11th of the season. Kristine Horn (Utica, Mich.) started the play as she passed the puck to Megan Armstrong. Armstrong ripped a shot from just inside the blueline on net that was saved by Maine goalie Meghann Treacy, but Hannah Armstrong was there to finish the play and score the goal.

At the 7:04 mark of the second, freshman Alexis Crossley (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia) recorded her seventh goal of the season on a power play. Kristina Lavoie (Fonthill, Ontario) played the puck out to Crossley, who was waiting just inside the blueline. She then ripped a wrist shot that snuck into the net next to the post to level the score. At the end of two periods, the score was tied, 2-2. Horn also tallied her second assist of the game on the play.

In the third period, the Wildcats pummeled the Black Bears with shots, recording 19 shots on goal in the frame. Black Bear goalie Treacy made saves on all the shots she faced. Gilligan made saves on all the shots she faced through the final two periods to preserve the tie and send the game into overtime.

Both teams were eagerly trying to get the game-winning goal. New Hampshire sent seven shots on goal while Maine sent four shots at Gilligan, all of which were saved by both goalies. After 65 minutes, the score was finalized, 2-2.

Gilligan got the decision in net for UNH after making 25 saves on the 27 shots. Her record now stands at 9-4-3 on the year. Treacy made 49 saves on 51 shots faced while in net and her record stands at 0-5-1.

The two teams will wrap up the regular season Sunday at 2 p.m. The seven seniors on the Wildcats will be honored in a special pregame ceremony.