Connecticut junior defenseman Casey Knajdek

STORRS, Conn. - The University of Connecticut women's ice hockey team returned to action after a month lay-off and fell to No. 9/10 Harvard, 8-1, at the Freitas Ice Forum on Tuesday night. The loss snapped a three-game unbeaten streak for the Huskies who dropped to 3-13-4 overall, while the Crimson improved to 9-4-0.

Less than a minute into the game, UConn found itself on the penalty kill. Freshman Sarah MacDonnell (Quispamsis, N.B.) was whistled for a five-minute major for hitting from behind and sent to the locker room with a game misconduct. The Huskies killed off the ensuing Harvard power play, but near the midway point of the period the Crimson offense came to life.

Sophomore Gina McDonald put Harvard on the board with the first of three goals during a five minute and four second stretch of the first period. At the 12:59 mark, sophomore Kailey Armstrong netted a power play goal and at 14:13 classmate Lindsey Fry capped off the period with her eighth goal of the season. Junior Kaitlin Spurling picked up assists on each of the first two goals.

The second period was much of the same as the Crimson outscored the Huskies 4-1. Freshman Kayla Campero (Wallingford, Conn.) scored for the third straight game, lifting her season total to five. Freshman Emily Snodgrass (Eagan, Minn.) assisted on the score.

Junior Laura Bellamy provided 20 saves in goal for Harvard as she earned her ninth win of the season. For UConn, sophomore Nicole Paniccia (Oakville, Ont.) took the loss in her ninth start of the year after allowing seven goals and turning away 27 shots in two periods of play. Senior Alexandra Garcia (Pointe-Claire, Que.) came on in relief for the third period and made five saves, while allowing one goal.

The Huskies remain at home for the second of three games against ECAC opponents on their home ice. Next up is Brown at 1:00 pm Saturday afternoon, followed by a 7:05 pm contest between the UConn men's ice hockey team and Niagara.