Senior defenseman Tara Watchorn posts three points and junior forward Isabel Menard scores twice for Terriers

Senior defenseman Tara Watchorn had a goal and two assists for the Terriers

BOSTON - Freshman forward Kayla Tutino scored her third shorthanded goal of the season with 8:04 remaining in regulation to break a 2-2 deadlock and put the Boston University women's hockey team ahead for good, as the fifth-ranked Terriers defeated Connecticut, 4-2, at Walter Brown Arena on Saturday afternoon.

Tutino also had an assist to complete a multi-point afternoon. Junior forward Isabel Menard potted two goals for the second straight game and senior defenseman Tara Watchorn scored her first goal of the season. Sophomore Braly Hiller was sharp between the pipes, as she made 24 saves to improve her record to 2-0-0 this season.

Connecticut (1-11-2, 1-5-0 WHEA) goaltender Alexandra Garcia was sensational for the Huskies, as she stopped 50 shots, including 41 over the first two periods, to keep UConn in the contest. BU (8-4-1, 3-1-0 WHEA) attempted 54 shots, the most the Terriers have attempted since Feb. 3, 2011, when they also attempted 54 shots against New Hampshire in a 4-2 loss.

After trailing 1-0 entering the third period, BU finally solved Garcia, as the Terriers scored three goals in a 5:57 span to take a 3-2 lead. The turning point of the game was when Husky defenseman Sami Evelyn was given a five minute major and a game misconduct for hitting from behind at the 4:05 mark. The Terriers capitalized nearly two minutes later when Watchorn struck on the power play to even the score, 1-1.

UConn came right back through, as a little over two minutes later Emily Snodgrass picked up a shorthanded goal to regain the Huskies' lead, 2-1. That lead was short lived, however, as less than a minute later Menard scored with two seconds remaining on the major penalty to tie the game, 2-2.

The Terriers wasted little time taking the lead for good when they scored a shorthanded goal of their own. Senior captain Jenn Wakefield picked the pocket of a UConn attacker and went towards the Huskies' defensive zone. Tutino joined the rush, and after Wakefield's initial shot was blocked, the puck bounced to Tutino's stick at the left post. The rookie sensation batted the biscuit home for her seventh goal of the season and the 3-2 lead.

BU dominated the opening frame, as the Terriers outshot UConn, 25-7. Menard nearly had the first goal of the game when the Terriers were shorthanded late in the first. The Ottawa, Ont., native stole the puck at the BU blue line and raced in alone on Garcia. Menard made a move to her backhand, but Garcia was able to deflect the puck out of play and keep the game scoreless.

The Terriers got a power play of their own with less than two minutes to play in the first and peppered Garcia with 11 shots before the final horn sounded. None of those shots found the back of the net, however, and the teams went into the first intermission goalless.

The second period saw more of the same from the Terriers, as they continued to apply pressure in the offensive end and fire shots on goal. However, UConn got on the board first when Emily Snodgrass sneaked a shot past Hiller at the 10:30 mark of the second stanza. Garcia once again stonewalled BU, as she made 18 saves in the frame.

There will be little time to celebrate this thrilling victory, as the Terriers will be back at the rink tomorrow afternoon. BU will travel to Rhode Island for a 2 p.m. tilt with the Providence College Friars.