St. Cloud State Overtakes Boston University 3-1 with Three Late Goals

Junior co-captain Gina Kearns scored for the Terriers

BOSTON - The Boston University women's ice hockey team surrendered three third-period goals to fall 3-1 against St. Cloud State Saturday, after posting a shutout for 52 minutes. Junior co-captain Gina Kearns's first period goal kept the Terriers on top for the majority of the game, but a short-handed score by the Huskies late in the third period began St. Cloud State's run.

The Terriers and Huskies again played a physical game, totaling 15 penalties between the teams. However, Kearns's score was the only power-play goal of the game, as the teams failed to convert 12 power-play opportunities.

Junior goaltender Allyse Wilcox made some spectacular saves against the potent SCSU offense, but missed a few breaks in the third period, as the Huskies scored a short-handed goal to tie the game. SCSU added another goal just 2:38 later, with an empty-netter scoring some insurance late.

The Terriers' score came with 5:41 left in the first period, as senior Julie Poulin set up the play on the blue line. Poulin found junior Amanda Shaw across the middle, who put a shot on goal. However, before the puck reached the net, Kearns redirected the shot on the goaltender's glove side to put BU ahead.

The game then shifted to a defensive battle, as the two teams battled for possession and killed each other's penalties for the next 37 minutes. Wilcox made some impressive saves, smothering rebounds off her pads and cutting off shooting lanes, to hold the Huskies scoreless through two periods.

Pressure began to mount for the Terriers, as third-period penalties gave the Huskies a five-on-three advantage. Unlike last night, when SCSU scored two of its five goals on the power play, BU stifled the Huskies' attack and killed the penalty.

However, with the Terriers on the power play with 7:56 remaining in the game, SCSU sophomore Holly Roberts knocked in a slow moving rebound off Wilcox's pads to score the equalizer.

The Huskies scored again with 5:18 left in the game, as junior Sammy Nixon found sophomore Caitlin Hogan open to net the game-winner.

After the Huskies were whistled for interference, the Terriers pulled Wilcox to give the team a six-on-four advantage. After several shots on goal, the puck slipped past the BU attack and provided senior captain Laura Fast with a fast break on net. With the Terrier defense closing in behind her, Fast found Nixon across the middle for the empty-net score with 25 second remaining in the game.

SCSU once again out-shot BU, 31 to 20. Wilcox had 28 saves while freshman Ashley Nixon had 19 for the Huskies.

The Terriers next game is at Maine on Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 7:00 p.m.