Junior Martine Garland posts goal and assist for UNH.

DURHAM, N.H. – Sarah Toupal scored an extra-skater goal with 19 seconds remaining in regulation to lift the sixth-ranked Dartmouth College women’s hockey team to Sunday afternoon’s 3-3 tie against third-ranked University of New Hampshire at the Whittemore Center.

UNH, which also skated to a 3-3 draw Friday night at fourth-ranked Harvard University, is now 14-2-3 overall with a 2-0-3 record in games decided by overtime. Dartmouth is 10-3-1 this season.

After falling behind 2-0 in the first period, the Wildcats rallied to take a 3-2 lead. Martine Garland (Toronto, Ontario) trimmed the deficit to 2-1 at 13:04 of the first period when she charged down the slot and fired a loose puck into the net. Micaela Long (South Boston, Mass.), whose initial shot from the left circle was stopped by DC goaltender Carli Clemis, and Leah Craig (Seaforth, Ontario) were credited with assists.

The Big Green led by that 2-1 margin at the first intermission, but New Hampshire began to control play in the second period and a 19-3 shot advantage helped give the ‘Cats the lead. Courtney Sheary (Melrose, Mass.) netted her first collegiate goal to even the score at 14:14. From the left halfboards, Steph Holmes (Rye, N.Y.) sent the puck across the ice to Sheary, who was alone on the right side of the ice and snapped a shot from the circle into the net. Nicole Hekle (Winnipeg, Manitoba) also assisted on the tally.

UNH capitalized on its third power-play opportunity of the game to take a 3-2 lead at 18:09. Garland’s initial shot from the left point was redirected in front by Jennifer Hitchcock (LaSalle, Ontario). Clemis stopped that shot but the rebound went back to Hitchcock, and she took advantage of her second chance to extend her goal-scoring streak to seven games. Garland Kacey Bellamy (Westfield, Mass.) were credited with an assist.

Dartmouth began to gain momentum in the third period but failed to capitalize on a pair of power plays, the first of which generated a number of shots off target and the second one featured possession on the perimeter but no shots.

UNH goalie Melissa Bourdon (Ile Bizard, Quebec) denied Gillian Apps from close range, then turned aside her attempt off the rebound with 7:30 remaining to preserve the one-goal lead. With two minutes left in regulation, Carrie Thompson snuck behind the defense in the right circle but was stoned by Bourdon.

DC called time out with 1:57 remaining in regulation and pulled Clemis in favor of on extra skater with 1:11 on the clock. The Big Green kept pressure in the offensive zone and it resulted in Toupal’s game-tying goal from the low slot at 19:41. Assists went to Apps and Meredith Batcheller, both of whom had shots blocked in the slot.

Both teams recorded three shots in the five-minute extra session, and that included ones in the waning seconds by Hitchcock and Hekle.

Bourdon finished with 26 saves and Clemis stopped 34 shots.

Dartmouth took a 2-0 first-period lead on a power-play goal by Caroline Ethier at 4:15 and Apps’ even-strength tally at 8:34. Bourdon stopped shots by Sarah Newnam and Sarah Parsons before Ethier deposited the puck in the net, and Bourdon also stopped Apps’ initial shot before she scored off the rebound at the right post.

New Hampshire takes a break for exams and the holidays before resuming the 2007 season Jan. 6 (1 p.m.) at the University of Connecticut. The Wildcats’ next home game is Jan. 12 vs. University of Maine. Game time at the Whittemore Center is 7 p.m.