NU Crystal Rochon gets game-tying goal

Northeastern senior Crystal Rochon scored the game-tying goal with 1:26 remaining in regulation and an extra attacker on the ice as the NU womenís hockey team skated to a 4-4 overtime tie with Boston University on Saturday afternoon at Matthews Arena. Rochonís goal negated a furious comeback by the Terriers, who scored four goals in the third period to take a lead with 4:46 remaining in regulation.

With the Huskies reeling from a four-goal BU onslaught, Rochon picked up a loose puck near center ice and skated in on BU netminder Melissa Haber, beating Haber just inside the right post just as NU was getting its sixth attacker on the ice.

Despite Rochonís tally, the third period almost exclusively belonged to the Terriers, as they held a 19-5 shot advantage and kept pressure throughout on the NU defense and freshman goaltender Sydney Arbelbide. Cara Hendry began the comeback 1:46 into the frame by tipping a shot from the point by Sarah Russell that eluded Arbelbide. At the 7:53 mark, Gina Kearns streaked down the left side of the ice and beat the NU goalie one-on-one for her 10th goal of the season, making it a one-goal game.

Boston University then scored twice in 15 seconds to temporarily take a one-goal lead. Melissa Anderson scored the teamís third goal from in close, deflecting a shot by teammate Melissa Shaw into the back of the net. Soon after, BUís Nicki Wiart scored her ninth of the year at the 15:14 mark, with assists going to Hendry and Russell.

Both teams had their chances in the first period, but the Huskies scored the only goal. At the 3:14 mark, senior captain Amy Goodney stole the puck away from a BU defender and skated in uncontested on Haber. Goodney snapped the puck past the glove of Haber and into the top corner for the gameís first goal, her second of the season and 25th of her career.

BUís Gina Kearns had a shorthanded chance with 6:45 left in the period, when a teammate attempted to feed her a long breakaway pass. However, Arbelbide sprinted from the net to the top of the right circle to poke-check the puck away before Kearns could corral it.

Husky freshman Katy Applin also had a good shorthanded chance late in the period, as she and junior Nikki Petrich came in on a two-on-one shorthanded rush. The NU defender kept the puck and rung a shot off the crossbar with 3:17 remaining in the first.

The Huskies added two goals in the second stanza to take a three-goal lead into the final period. Less than six minutes into the period, senior Marie Desrosiers notched her third of the season off a faceoff in the offensive zone. Desrosiers won the faceoff to herself and charged the net, beating Haber to the short side from just inside the left circle. With 8:20 to go in the second, sophomore Cassie Sperry took a nice pass from behind the net off the stick of sophomore Ali Bielawski and beat Haber for her fourth of the year.

BU held a 40-28 shot advantage on the afternoon, although NU took three of the four shots recorded in overtime. Arbelbide finished the game with 36 saves, while Haber turned away 24 of 28 Northeastern attempts.

The Huskies and Terriers will take two days off before returning to the ice on Tuesday night, when the two teams face off in the opening round of the 29th annual Womenís Beanpot Tournament, which Northeastern has won a record 14 times. The opening faceoff is set for 5 p.m at Boston Collegeís Conte Forum.