BOSTON - The Boston University women’s ice hockey team fell to Brown University 3-1 on Tuesday evening at Walter Brown Arena. Despite a goal from freshman Melissa Anderson in the remaining minutes of the second period, the Terriers were unable to recover from an early two-goal deficit and fell to 10-6-1 on the year. Brown picked up its second victory all season, improving to 2-11-1.

Brown jumped on the board early, taking its opponent off guard when Hayley Moore scored just 18 seconds into the game to give her team the 1-0 lead. Starting center Andrea Hunter took the initial shot at sophomore goaltender Allyse Wilcox, who gave up a rebound that Moore quickly collected and slipped past the redline.

At 1:34 sophomore Amanda Shaw was called for holding, giving the Bears their first player-advantage of the night. BU swiftly killed the penalty and went on the offensive, keeping play deep in Brown’s zone. However, at 15:48, Shaw took her second penalty of the period. The visiting team took advantage of situation, scoring less than 30 seconds into the power play for the 2-0 lead. Melissa Anderson was called for interference at 19:28 to put Brown up a player and two goals entering the second period.

BU dominated play in the second period, rarely giving Brown’s defensive lines a break. At 5:48, sophomore Erin Seman was penalized for checking, giving the Bears a chance to go on the offensive. The opportunity was cut short when Brown’s Jenny Cedorchuk took a hooking penalty at 7:36. The teams played four-on-four hockey for three seconds before Brown was handed an interference call, giving BU the 5-on-3 for 48 seconds. Despite the open ice, BU did not convert.

Brown held on to its two-goal lead until 17:53, when Anderson scored her seventh goal on the year with assists from senior co-captain Cara Hendry and Seman. The starting forward line contributed 12 of BU’s 28 shots during the game and is responsible for 24 of BU’s last 43 points. The combined effort increased Hendry’s current point streak to seven games and Anderson and Seman’s to five games.

The Terriers looked to ride the momentum from the goal into the third period, but were cut short when junior Julie Poulin took an interference penalty at 19:37. Brown was unable to score during the power play, but kept up an aggressive style of play against BU and scored at 2:36 in the final period for the 3-1 lead.

Although the Terriers outshot the Bears in every period, they were unable get past goaltender Nicole Stock. Kathryn Moos went in the penalty box for Brown at 17:51, just as BU pulled Wilcox from goal. For over two minutes, the teams played 6-on-4 hockey, but the Terriers couldn’t break through Brown’s defense and lost the game. It was BU’s first loss to an ECACHL team this season. Previous to Tuesday’s game, BU was 5-0-0 against the conference. The Terriers wrap up 2006 play on Saturday, Dec. 9, when Sacred Heart visits Walter Brown Arena for a 3 p.m. match up.