~ Terriers entertain Mercyhurst at Walter Brown in second straight NCAA berth ~
BC and BU will both host NCAA Tournament games on Saturday afternoon
Minnesota at No. 4 seed Boston College (Sat. at Conte Forum, 1pm)
- Boston College earned an NCAA tournament bid by winning its first Hockey East Tournament
Championship last Sunday, upending Northeastern 3-1.
- BC is fourth best in the country in team defense (1.71), while Minnesota is sixth best (1.76).
- This is the Eagles' third appearance in the NCAA tournament, having previously gone to the tournament
in 2007 and 2009.
- BC's record in the tournament stands at 1-2 all-time. In their only previous meeting in the NCAA Tournament,
BC fell to Minnesota 4-3 in the quarterfinal round in Minneapolis.
Mercyhurst at No. 3 seed Boston University (Sat. at Walter Brown Arena, 3pm)
- The Terriers are 0-1 all-time in the NCAA tournament, as they made their only appearance last year
against the top-seeded Mercyhurst Lakers. The Terriers fell 4-1.
- BU is tied for the best penalty kill with Cornell, at 93.9 (152/162), while Mercyhurst has the second
best power play in the country at 25.77%, trailing only Wisconsin at 25.95% (41/158).
- BU freshman goaltender Kerrin Sperry posted 19 wins with a 1.59 GAA and a .929 save percentage
in 25 games this season. She also recorded six shutouts.
Hockey East Teams in the NCAA Tournament
- Boston College and Boston University mark WHEA's 10th and 11th entries into NCAA play. It marks the
third time two WHEA teams have earned berths in the tournament with the first back in the 2007 season
(BC and UNH) and most recently with BU and UNH in 2009.
WHEA TEAMS IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Boston College: Three appearances, 1-2 record, One Frozen Four
Boston University: Two appearances, 0-1 record
New Hampshire: Five appearances, 2-5 record, Two Frozen Fours
Providence: One appearance, 0-1 record