BURLINGTON, Vt. - The 10th-ranked UMass Minutemen (15-7-2, 8-4-1 HEA) tallied a goal in each of the first two periods and added a pair in the third to take a 4-0 win over the Vermont Catamounts (3-14-3, 0-10-1 HEA) Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMass took the lead at 18:24 of the first period on a defensive zone turnover below the goal line. Mitchell Chaffee ended up with the puck in the slot and buried a shot into the top right corner.
- Chaffee doubled the Minutemen lead at 6:26 of the second period, blasting a rebound from the slot past Stefanos Lekkas (31 saves). Jack Suter and Oliver Chau assisted on the goal.
- The Catamounts killed a pair of UMass power plays in the remainder of the second period to enter the second intermission trailing by a pair.
- John Leonard pushed the UMass lead to 3-0 with a breakaway goal at 6:40 of the third period. Marc Del Gaizo sprung the junior on the breakaway and picked up the assist.
- Chaffee added an empty-net goal to complete the hat trick with 2.1 seconds remaining.
- Matt Murray recorded 25 saves in the shutout victory.
Vermont closes the weekend series with the 10th-ranked Minutemen tomorrow night at Gutterson Fieldhouse. The puck is scheduled to drop at 7:05 p.m. and marks UVM's third annual Green Out the Gut game presented by Casella Waste Management.