BURLINGTON, Vt. - Vermont and 14th-ranked Providence traded first period goals before playing the remainder of the game scoreless in a 1-1 Hockey East tie Friday night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
"A great college game played by both teams," said head coach Kevin Sneddon. "It was a hard fought game and I loved how we played fearlessly in the last few minutes of the third and throughout overtime."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Spenser Young gave the Friars a 1-0 lead at 10:23 of the first period. Jack Dugan carried the puck through the middle of the Vermont zone and dropped a pass to Young, who ripped a shot from the slot past Stefanos
- Less than five minutes after Young's goal, Vlad Dzhioshvili netted his fourth goal of the season at 15:15 of the opening frame. He skated across the PC zone with speed on a delayed Friar penalty before wiring a shot under Michael Lackey (32 saves). Alex Esposito assisted on the equalizer.
- Lekkas and the Catamounts kept the powerful Providence power play off the board on two attempts in a scoreless second period. Lekkas recorded 11 of his 37 saves in the middle frame.
- Jacques Bouquot rang iron at 1:31 of the third period, beating Lackey's glove with the short side shot but narrowly missing the target.
- Vermont controlled the overtime period and finished the extra frame with a 6-1 advantage in shots. However, Lackey stood tall and notably made three saves in rapid succession with two minutes left on the clock to preserve the tie.
- Vermont wore Connolly on the back of every jersey in memory of Professor Declan Connolly and a moment of silence was held before the game.
- Providence finished the night with a 38-33 advantage in shots. Both teams went 0-for-3 on power play chances.
- Tonight's final marks the second straight 1-1 tie between Vermont and Providence. The Catamounts and Friars ended in a 1-1 deadlock in last year's series finale at Schneider Arena.
Vermont closes the season series with Providence tomorrow night at Gutterson Fieldhouse. The puck is slated to drop at 7:05 p.m. on North Country Night at the Gut.