PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 11 Providence College men's hockey team erased a three-goal deficit, Vimal Sukumaran scored twice, but Angus Crookshank's goal at 16:15 gave New Hampshire a 4-3 win at Schneider Arena on Friday night.
Providence - 3 | New Hampshire - 4
No. 11 Providence - 13-6-5 (7-5-2 HEAM) | New Hampshire - 12-8-1 (6-5-0 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 24 saves
Mike Robinson (UNH) - 27 saves
- Kohei Sato got the visitors on the board just 54 seconds in and then the Wildcats had an early five-minute power play after Jamie Engelbert was ejected just 2:37 into the game.
- The Friars killed the major, but New Hampshire struck for two more goals late in the period to take a 3-0 lead after 20 minutes.
- Providence cut the deficit to 3-2 on goals by Vimal Sukumaran and Parker Ford in the latter stages of the second period.
- Sukumaran brought the Friars even at 13:38 of the third, re-directing a Shane Kavanagh shot for his fourth goal of the season.
- Angus Crookshank put the Wildcats on top for good just 3:23 later with his second goal of the game.
- Thompson extended his point streak to six games with an assist. He pushed his season point total to 36 and remains second in the NCAA in total points.
- Providence surrendered the first goal for just the third time in 24 games this season.
- Parker Ford recorded his sixth multi-point effort of the season.
- Sukumaran registered his fourth-career multi-goal game.
- The Friars' seven-game unbeaten streak was snapped.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UNH) - :54/1st - EV - Kohei Sato (Blackburn, Wyse) - Centering feed from Blackburn to Sato for a one-timer from the low slot.
2-0 (UNH) - 15:23/1st - EV - Angus Crookshank (Pierson, Kelleher) - Pass re-directed right onto the stick of Crookshank who finished into a wide open net.
3-0 (UNH) - 18:39/1st - EV - Max Gildon (unassisted) - Shot from the point through traffic.
3-1 (PC) - 9:09/2nd - PP - Vimal Sukumaran (Crozier, Ford) - Sukumaran re-directed Crozier's shot from the point past Robinson
3-2 (PC) - 15:22/2nd - PP - Parker Ford (Thompson, Callahan) - Thompson wired a shot off the crossbar and Ford finished the rebound.
3-3 (PC) - 13:38/3rd - EV - Vimal Sukumaran (Kavanagh, Johnson) - Kavanagh wristed a shot towards the net and Sukumaran re-directed it through Robinson.
4-3 (UNH) - 16:15/3rd - EV - Agnus Crookshank (Kelleher) - One-timer from the tops of the circles.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Sukumaran (2)
Assists: Six players (1)
Points: Sukumaran, Ford (2)
Shots: Crozier (7)
Providence - 2/5
UNH - 0/2
Providence - 30
UNH - 28
The Friars and Wildcats conclude the season series tomorrow night (Jan. 18) at the Whittemore Center.