PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Carl Berglund scored at 4:20 of overtime to give the visiting UMass Lowell River Hawks a 3-2 win over the No. 7 Providence College men's hockey team on Saturday night (Oct. 26) at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 2 | UMass Lowell - 3 - OT
No. 7 Providence - 4-2-0 (2-1-0 HEAM) | UMass Lowell - 4-2-2 (1-0-1 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 29 saves
Tyler Wall (UML) - 40 saves
- The Friars jumped on the board first as Tyce Thompson notched his fifth goal of the season with a power play strike at 8:56.
- The River Hawks answered on the power play at 14:36 on a one-timer from Matt Brown.
- UMass Lowell took at 2-1 lead early in the second period on Zach Kaiser's goal off a turnover.
- The Friars held the Riverhawks to just nine shots through two periods, but UML pushed in the third with 19 shots on goal.
- Providence had a great chance at the beginning of overtime on a net-mouth scramble, but a loose puck was just pushed past the post.
- Berglund closed it out with this third goal of the season with 39.7 seconds remaining.
- Michael Lackey finished the night with 29 saves, 22 coming in the third period and overtime.
- Dugan still leads the NCAA in scoring with 14 points (4-10-14) in six games.
- Thompson has posted four goals and four assists during his four-game point streak.
- Moynihan finished the night with a goal and a game-high six shots.
- The Friars' six-game winning streak over the River Hawks was snapped.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 8:56/1st - PP - Tyce Thompson (Dugan, Callahan) - Dugan fed Thompson at the top of the left circle and fired a shot inside the right post with Greg Printz setting a screen in front.
1-1 (UML) - 14:36/1st - PP - Matt Brown (Levesque, Blackmun) - One-timer from the left circle.
2-1 (UML) - 3:47/2nd - EV - Zach Kaiser (unassisted) - Turnover in the neutral zone, Kaiser rushed down the right wing and finished off his own rebound
2-2 (PC) - 4:43/2nd - PP - Patrick Moynihan (Callahan, Dugan) - Moynihan blasted a one-timer under the blocker of Wall off a feed from Callahan.
3-2 (UML) - 4:20/OT - EV - Carl Berglund (Brown, Barton) - Odd-man rush, Brown's shot rebounded to Berglund for a one-timer.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Moynihan, Thompson (1)
Assists: Callahan, Dugan (2)
Points: Callahan, Dugan (2)
Shots: Crozier, Moynihan (6)
Providence - 2/4
UMass Lowell - 1/7
Providence - 42
UMass Lowell - 32
The Friars return to action next Friday (Nov. 1) for a non-conference matchup against Colgate.