PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Craig Needham scored the game-winner 1:11 into the overtime period to beat the U.S. Under-18 National Team Development Program, 2-1, on Saturday, Oct. 12 at Schneider Arena for the Friars' lone exhibition matchup of the season.
Providence - 2 | U.S. Under-18 National Team - 1 (OT)
No. 6/7 Providence - 1-1-0 (1-0-0 HEAM) | U.S. Under-18 National Team - 3-4-0
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Gabe Mollot-Hill (PC) - 12 saves
Jake Kucharski (PC) - 5 saves; Win
Noah Grannan (USA) - 22 saves
- Freshman Patrick Moynihan opened the scoring 7:21 into the opening frame on Providence's first power play of the game after Landon Slaggert was called for hooking. Tyce Thompson won a faceoff in the opening zone dishing it back to Greg Printz, Printz slid the puck over to Moynihan at the point before beating the goaltender five-hole with a wrist shot.
- Providence converted on its lone opportunity with a man-advantage in the first period while Team USA failed to capitalize on two power play chances.
- Ty Smilanic knotted the game at one goal apiece 7:36 into the second period. Luke Tuch put a wrist shot on net that was rebounded by Smilanic at the top of the crease.
- Gabe Mollot-Hill started the game between the pipes for the Friars, he made 12 saves in 34:08. Jake Kucharski relieved Mollot-Hill with 5:52 remaining in the second period. He finished the night stopping all five shots he faced.
- Providence outshot Team USA, 7-3, in the final frame despite neither side finding the back of the net.
- Freshman Craig Needham stuffed in the game-winning goal just 1:11 into the overtime period. Garrett Devine put a wrist shot on net that re-directed to the goalie's glove side, Needham pushed it in on the goal line to send Providence home with the 2-1 victory.
1-0 (PC) - 7:21/1st - PP - Patrick Moynihan (Printz, Thompson) - Wrist shot from the slot off a faceoff win.
1-1(USA) - 7:36/2nd - EV - Ty Smilanic (Tuch, Bordeleau) - Rebound at the top of the crease.
2-1 (PC) - 1:11/OT - EV - Craig Needham (Devine, Crozier) - Stuffed in on the goal line.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Moynihan, Needham (1)
Assists: Crozier, Thompson, Printz, Devine (1)
Points: Six players (1)
Shots: Crozier, Moynihan (3)
Providence - 1/3
U.S. Under-18 National Team - 0/4
Providence - 24
U.S. Under-18 National Team - 18
The Friars will continue regular season play with a three-game road swing against St. Lawrence (Oct. 18), Clarkson (Oct. 19) and Boston College (Oct. 25)..