PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 19 Providence College men's hockey team defeated the No. 15 Maine Black Bears, 3-2, to secure key Hockey East points on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 3 | Maine - 2
No. 19 Providence - 16-11-6 (10-10-3 HEAM) | No. 15 Maine - 17-11-5 (11-9-3 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 25 saves
Jeremy Swayman (Maine) - 30 saves
- Patrick Moynihan had two goals waived off in the opening period, but the Friars still took a 1-0 lead into the locker room after a strong 20 minutes.
- Jack Dugan put Providence on the board at the 14:15 mark with an unassisted goal. He exited the box after a tripping penalty, picked up a turnover at the offensive blue line, shifted to his backhand and beat Jeremy Swayman for his tenth goal of the season.
- The Friars extended the lead to 2-0 with under five minutes remaining in the second period. Shane Kavanagh fed Jason O'Neill on the goal line. He tucked a backhander between the legs of Swayman for his fifth goal of the year.
- Maine responded, scoring just 20 seconds later. Adrien Bisson picked up a loose puck in the slot and notched his second goal of the season.
- Providence notched a power-play goal just 33 seconds into the second period. Greg Printz buried a rebound off of a Tyce Thompson one timer for his 15th goal of the season. Thompson picked up his 25th assist of the year, while Dugan earned his 42nd.
- Emil Westerlund brought the score back within one, scoring on a re-direction in front at the 12:21 mark.
- The Friars were able to hold Maine scoreless over the final minutes of play. Michael Lackey made 13 saves in the third period and 25 total on the evening.
- Dugan improves on his NCAA scoring lead with his 51st and 52nd points of the year.
- Tyce Thompson registered an assist and still ranks third in the NCAA scoring race with 44 points.
- Providence is now 20-1-1 over its last 22 meetings with Maine and have won 13 in a row in the series at home.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 14:15/1st - EV - Jack Dugan (unassisted) - Picked up a turnover at the blue line and beat Swayman with a backhander
2-0 (PC) - 15:56/2nd - EV - Jason O'Neill (Kavanagh, Nilsson) - Kavanagh fed O'Neill on the goal line and he tucked it five-hole on the backhand
2-1 (Maine) - 16:16/2nd - EV - Adrien Bisson (Schmidt-Svejstrup, Dawe) - Wrist shot off a loose puck in the slot
3-1 (PC) - 0:33/3rd - PP - Greg Printz (Thompson, Dugan) - Rebound off a Thompson one-timer
3-2 (Maine) - 12:21/3rd - EV - Emil Westerlund (Tiuraniemi, Sirota) - Re-direction off a skate in front
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Dugan, O'Neill, Printz (1)
Assists: Kavanagh, Nilsson, Thompson, Dugan (1)
Points: Dugan (2)
Shots: Crozier (6)
Providence - 1/3
Maine - 0/2
Providence - 33
Maine - 27
The Friars conclude the regular season with a game at Maine on Friday, March 6 at 7:00 p.m.