NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. - The Merrimack College men's hockey team dropped a 7-0 decision to #7/7 Penn State Friday evening at Lawler Rink.
The visitors from Happy Valley were led by a natural hat trick from Liam Folkes, as they scored multiple goals in all three periods on the way to the win.
Score: #7/7 Penn State 7, Merrimack 0
Records: Merrimack (2-9-2, 1-4-2 HEAM) | #7/7 Penn State (9-3-1, 4-3-1 BIG 10)
Game Duration: 2:19
How It Happened
- Folkes scored the first two of his natural hat trick tallies in the first period, as the Nittany Lions went into the first break with a 2-0 advantage.
- Folkes completed the hat trick midway through the second period, before the visitors tacked on two more to take a 5-0 lead into the third.
- The Nittany Lions added two more in the closing stanza to finish off their 7-0 victory.
Notes & Numbers
- Friday marks just the second time all season Merrimack has been shut out. They also didn't register a goal Oct. 19 at RIT.
- Troy Kobryn made the start in the Warrior goal and finished with 23 saves. Jere Huhtamaa came in relief to start the third and had nine stops.
- Ben Brar and Logan Drevitch shared the team lead with three shots on goal.
The Warriors stay in North Andover Saturday night to face RPI. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. from Lawler Rink.