SAULT, STE, MARIE - Sophomore captain Chase Gresock scored twice on Saturday as the Merrimack College men's ice hockey program opened the 2019-20 season on Saturday night at Lake Superior State University. After Gresock's second tally in the second period, the Lakers scored the night's next four goals to claim a 6-2 victory at Taffy Abel Arena. The two programs return to the ice tomorrow night at 5 p.m. to complete the weekend series.
Score: Lake Superior State 6, Merrimack 2
Records: Merrimack (0-1-0) | Lake Superior State (1-0-0)
Location: Taffy Abel Arena | Sault, Ste, Marie, Mich.
How It Happened
- Freshman Jere Huhtamaa earned the nod in net, making his first career start between the pipes as one of three rookie goaltenders on Merrimack's roster
- The Lakers struck first nearly seven minutes into the first period, taking a 1-0 lead. Gresock responded with just seconds left in the opening period, roofing a loose puck from the slot that brought the game even after 20 minutes
- Merrimack's top line answered a Lake State strike in the second period as well; senior captain Tyler Irvine controlled possession from behind the net, and fed Gresock in front. The top-line winger patiently waiting out the Lakers' goalie to pot his second
- Lake Superior State responded with two more goals in the second period, and added two more over the final 20 minutes. Freshman goaltender Troy Kobryn relieved Huhtamaa in the third to make his collegiate debut
Notes & Numbers
- Gresock posted his second career two-goal performance, after doing so once during his 11-goal freshman season that ended with a Hockey East All-Rookie Team selection
- Twelve Warriors made their Merrimack debuts, 11 of which were freshmen. Senior Griff Jeszka registered his first career game in a Merrimack uniform after sitting out last year due to his transfer from UMass
- Merrimack made its second-ever trip to Sault Ste, Marie, Mich., last playing at Lake State in 1988
L. Drevitch | Irvine | Gresock
Jeszka | Kramer | T. Drevitch
Kimens | Cassetti | Seyfert
Brar | Welsher | Tavernier
Uens | Carlile
Dockery | Dennison
Vinnell | Heidt
Huhtamaa | Corcoran | Kobryn
The Warriors face the Lakers tomorrow evening at 5 p.m. to conclude the weekend series.