LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Providence College Jack Dugan netted the shootout winner and Michael Lackey stopped all three shootout attempts as the No. 14 Friars claimed the 2020 Fortress Invitational after tying with No. 2 Cornell, 2-2 on Saturday night at T-Mobile Arena. For NCAA purposes, the game is declared a tie after regulation and five minutes of 5-on-5 play.
Providence - 2 | Cornell - 2 - OT (PC wins shootout, 1-0)
No. 14 Providence - 11-5-5 (6-4-2 HEAM) | No. 2 Cornell - 11-1-1 (7-1-0 ECAC)
T-Mobile Arena - Las Vegas, Nev.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 27 saves
Matthew Galajda (CU) - 24 saves
- Tyce Thompson got the Friars on the board at 6:35 of the first period with his 15th strike of the year to give Providence a 1-0 lead.
- Cornell evened things up on Morgan Barron's first of two goals on the night at 15:42 of the first period.
- Providence cashed in on the tail-end of a five-minute major as Parker Ford one-timed a feed from Jack Dugan into the top left corner for a 2-1 lead. Ford returned to the lineup on Saturday after participated for Team USA at the World Junior Championships.
- The Big Red knotted the game at 18:48 of the third with the extra attacker as Barron connected for his second of the night.
- The teams went scoreless through both overtime sessions, including five minutes of 3-on-3 play.
- Dugan, the draft pick of the Vegas Golden Knights, scored the winner the shootout and Michael Lackey denied Ben Berard's bid to secure the tournament title for the Friars.
- Dugan recorded his NCAA-leading 37th point with his primary assist on Parker Ford's goal in the second period.
- Tyce Thompson now has 11 multi-point games this season and 18 games of at least one point.
- Co-captain Michael Callahan recorded his fifth multi-point game of the season with two assists.
- Providence scored first for the 19th time in 21 games this season.
- The Friars are unbeaten in their last five games (3-0-2).
- Providence moved to 2-1-1 against opponents currently ranked in the top-five and 5-3-1 against all ranked opponents.
- The Friars lead the NCAA with eight overtime games this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 6:35/1st - EV - Tyce Thompson (Callahan) - Thompson rushed down the left wing and used an outside-inside move before chipping the puck past Galajda.
1-1 (CU) - 15:42/1st - EV - Morgan Barron (Malone) - Cross-crease pass from Malone to Barron at the doorstep.
2-1 (PC) - 14:02/2nd - PP - Parker Ford (Dugan, Callahan) - Dugan centered a pass to Ford for a one-timer from the slot that went over the blocker of Galajda.
2-2 (CU) - 18:48/3rd - EX - Morgan Barron (Kaldis, Donaldson) - One-timer from the right circle.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson, Ford (1)
Assists: Callahan (2)
Points: Callahan (2)
Shots: Ford (5)
Providence - 1/5
Cornell - 0/2
Providence - 26
Cornell - 29
The Friars return to action on Thursday (Jan. 9) with a road contest at AIC in Springfield, Mass.