PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Craig Needham, Patrick Moynihan and Jack Dugan each tallied two points as the No. 12/13 Providence College men's hockey team raced past UConn, 5-2, on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
Providence - 5 | UConn - 2
No. 12/13 Providence - 7-4-3 (5-3-2 HEAM) | UConn - 3-6-3 (2-4-2 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 29 saves
Tomas Vomacka (UConn) - 37 saves (L); Ryan Keane - 3 saves
- Providence jumped out on top just 59 seconds into the game as freshman Parker Ford netted his fifth goal of the season.
- The Friars extended their lead to 2-0 at 6:05 on Patrick Moynihan's fifth of the season and first even-strength goal.
- Providence couldn't capitalize on a five-minute power play after UConn's Vladislav Firstov was ejected for interference and the Huskies gained momentum with a power play strike of their own from Alexander Payusov to cut the Friar lead to 2-1.
- Tyce Thompson netted his 11th goal of the season at 12:29 to give Providence the two-goal lead once again at 3-1.
- The Friars tacked on a pair of goals to put things out of reach in the third period. Craig Needham scored his first collegiate goal and Michael Callahan added his third of the season before UConn's Benjamin Freeman made it a 5-2 game with 2:28 remaining.
- Jack Dugan continues to lead the NCAA in scoring with 29 points after recording his 22nd and 23rd assists this season.
- Thompson and Dugan are two of only three NCAA players to have reached the 20-point mark this season.
- Thompson has two point streaks of at least five games so far this season. He has posted four goals and four assists over his last five games.
- Providence scored the first goal of the game for the 13th time in 14 games. The Friars are 7-4-2 when scoring first this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 0:59/1st - EV - Parker Ford (Dugan, Crozier) - Dugan fired a shot from the circles and Ford capitalized on the rebound.
2-0 (PC) - 6:05/1st - EV - Patrick Moynihan (Needham) - Moynihan walked out of the corner and fired a wrist shot over the blocker of Vomacka.
2-1 (UC) - 6:11/2nd - PP - Alexander Payusov (Kondelik, Kuznetsov) - Kondelik sent a pass from the slot to the left circle for a one-timer from Payusov.
3-1 (PC) - 12:29/2nd - EV - Tyce Thompson (Koopman, O'Neill) - Thompson cut back at the top of the slot to clear the defender and ripped a shot past Vomacka.
4-1 (PC) - 5:11/3rd - EV - Craig Needham (Kavanagh, Moynihan) - Put-back of his own rebound at the side of the net.
5-1 (PC) - 10:37/3rd - EV - Michael Callahan (Dugan, Sukumaran) - Dugan found Callahan trailing the play and his wrist shot beat Vomacka over the blocker from the tops of the circles.
5-2 (UC) - 17:32/3rd - EV - Benjamin Freeman (Turnbull) - Rush down the right wing and let snap shot go that broke through Lackey and in.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Ford, Moynihan, Thompson, Needham, Callahan (1)
Assists: Dugan (2)
Points: Dugan, Moynihan, Needham (2)
Shots: Mirageas (6)
Providence - 0/4
UConn - 1/5
Providence - 45
UConn - 31
The Friars welcome in Brown next Saturday afternoon for the 34th Mayor's Cup. Puck drop is slated for 4 p.m. at Schneider Arena.