POTSDAM, N.Y. - Tyce Thompson scored twice and freshman Cam McDonald netted the game-winning goal early in the second period as the No. 13/12 Providence College men's hockey team downed No. 10/9 Clarkson, 4-2, on Saturday night at Cheel Arena. The win marked Providence's first win in seven chances at Cheel Arena and the first North Country road sweep since Feb. 21-22, 1964.
Providence - 4 | Clarkson - 2
No. 13/12 Providence - 3-1-0 (1-0-0 HEAM) | No. 10/9 Clarkson - 2-1-1 (0-0-0 ECAC)
Cheel Arena - Potsdam, N.Y.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 24 saves
Frank Marotte (CU) - 30 saves
- Providence took a 2-1 lead into the locker room through 20 minutes and held a 14-9 advantage in shots.
- Tyce Thompson netted his third and four goals of the season in the first period and his third goal of the weekend. Jason O'Neill registered his first two points of the season on the Thompson goals.
- Clarkson had knotted the game at 1-1 on Anthony Romano's goal before Thompson gave the Friars the lead at 17:31.
- Lackey denied Devin Brosseau and Romano on breakaway bids in the first period.
- The Friars extended their lead to 3-1 3:13 into the second period as Cam McDonald beat Marotte with a wrist shot through traffic from the point for his first collegiate goal.
- The Golden Knights capitalized on the power play for the second time to draw within one midway through the third as Josh Dunne finished a rebound past Lackey.
- The Friars got their insurance marker at 16:58 as Parker Ford beat Marotte with a wrist shot off a feed from Max Crozier. Crozier recorded his first career multi-point game.
- Four freshmen (Ford, Johnson, McDonald and Moynihan) tallied their first collegiate goals this weekend.
- Lackey finished the night with 24 saves and has stopped 104 of 109 shots he's faced through four games.
- Thompson recorded first career multi-goal game and now has four goals and four assists through four games.
- Jason O'Neill boasted a strong game with two assists, his fourth multi-assist effort and was nine of 15 from the faceoff dot.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 5:12/1st - EV - Tyce Thompson (Crozier, O'Neill) - Thompson gathered the puck in the corner and banked a shot off Marotte's skate from behind the goal line.
1-1 (CU) - 9:00/1st - PP - Anthony Romano (Tsekos, Hurley) - Shot by Romano that glanced off Lackey's shoulder and popped into the net.
2-1 (PC) - 17:31/1st - EV - Tyce Thompson (O'Neill) - O'Neill intercepted a clear from Marotte behind the Clarkson net and centered to Thompson for a finish into an open net.
3-1 (PC) - 3:13/2nd - EV - Cam McDonald (unassisted) - McDonald walked the blue line and wristed a shot through traffic and over the shoulder of Marotte.
3-2 (CU) - 9:33/3rd - PP - Josh Dunne (McCarthy, Brosseau) - Rebound after McCarthy's shot rang off the post.
4-2 (PC) - 16:58/3rd - PP - Parker Ford (Crozier, Mirageas) - Crozier found Ford with a cross-ice pass and he finished a wrist shot to the upper left corner of the net.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (2)
Assists: Crozier, O'Neill (2)
Points: Crozier, O'Neill, Thompson (3)
Shots: Thompson (5)
Providence - 1/3
Clarkson - 2/3
Providence - 34
Clarkson - 26
The Friars return to Hockey East play next Friday night (Oct. 25) at Boston College.