BOSTON, Mass. - Freshman Sam Stevens scored the first two goals of his collegiate career and junior David Farrance stayed hot with his 10th marker of the season as the Boston University men's ice hockey team skated to a 3-3 draw with Vermont on Saturday afternoon at Agganis Arena.
BU, a 3-0 winner on Friday against the Catamounts, takes three points from the weekend and moves to 4-4-5 overall and 3-3-4 in Hockey East play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Terriers opened the scoring just 2:22 into the game as Stevens skated through the left slot before depositing a pass from fellow rookie Domenick Fensore.
- Later in the opening period, BU took a pair of major penalties within a minute of each other, creating a 5-on-3 advantage for the visitors for over four minutes.
- The Catamounts got an equalizer on the unreleasable penalties but BU's penalty kill got through the rest to keep the game tied.
- On the two-man advantage, Christian Evers gave UVM its first goal of the weekend at the 10:52 mark of the first.
- The visitors took their first lead of the series on another power play early in the second as Derek Lodermeier notched his first goal of the season at the 3:20 mark.
- BU was able to regain the lead by the end of the middle stanza as Stevens knotted the game before Farrance got his nation-leading eighth power-play goal of the season.
- Once again, Fensore got the puck towards the net to set up Stevens, as the d-man intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and skated through the left circle before throwing the puck on net, where Stevens came crashing in, punching in the rebound at 6:22.
- With the Terriers skating on a power play, sophomore Matthew Quercia won a faceoff and senior Patrick Curry got the puck to Farrance, who skated around the top of the zone before wristing a shot from the left circle that eluded UVM netminder Stefanos Lekkas.
- BU hung on to the 3-2 lead for over 27 minutes of play before Alex Esposito sent the game to overtime by knocking down an elevated puck in the slot and shooting it past BU goaltender Sam Tucker with 4:14 left in regulation.
- The Terriers got a power-play chance with 1:24 remaining in the overtime period but were unable to capitalize.
- Farrance's goal allowed him to extend his point streak to seven games, during which he's tallied 12 points on seven goals and five assists.
- Stevens now has four points (2g, 2a) in three games this season.
- UVM held a 37-35 shot advantage and got a 32-save effort from Lekkas.
- Tucker made 34 stops for the Terriers.
- The Terriers will wrap up a stretch of three home game in five days on Tuesday (Nov. 26) when they host Sacred Heart.
- Game time at Agganis Arena is set for 7 p.m.