BURLINGTON, Vt. - Boston University freshman Trevor Zegras scored the game-winner at 16:25 of the third period as the Terriers came out with a 4-2 Hockey East win over Vermont Friday night.
BU improves to 10-8-6 (7-4-5 HEA) and UVM drops to 3-17-4 (0-13-2 HEA) on Handy Toyota Night at Gutterson Fieldhouse.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Derek Lodermeier scored his fourth goal of the season to put the Cats ahead at 8:41 of the first period. Alex Esposito hit Lodermeier with a long saucer pass for a semi-breakaway and the captain roofed a shot over Ashton Abel's blocker.
- Boston University freshman Case McCarthy evened the score at 1-1 at 5:17 of the second period. McCarthy sped down the right boards in the Catamount zone and fired an off-angle shot to beat Stefanos Lekkas.
- BU's Gabriel Chabot put the Terriers ahead 2-1 at 1:40 of the third period. Vermont challenged the call on the ice, citing a high stick prior to the goal, however, a review confirmed the call on the ice.
- Christian Evers scored his sixth goal of the season to draw even with the Terriers just 59 seconds after Chabot's tally. Evers wired a wrist shot from the top of the left circle under Abel's left pad. Andrew Lucas and Ace Cowans assisted on the goal.
- Zegras scored his eighth goal of the season on the power play at 16:25 of the third to give the Terriers a 3-2 lead. He received a pass at the left dot and snuck a shot past a defenseman and Lekkas.
- BU captain Patrick Curry made it 4-2 with an empty net goal with 54 seconds remaining.
- Andrew Petrillo picked up the secondary assist on Lodermeier's first period goal for his first point of the season and first career helper.
- Lekkas made 29 saves while Abel finished the night with 28 saves.
- Vermont was 32-for-54 at the faceoff dot with Vlad Dzhioshvili leading the Cats with a 9-for-13 effort.
- BU was 1-for-3 on the power play while UVM finished the night 0-for-3.
Vermont closes the non-conference slate tomorrow night at Rensselaer (11-12-2, 8-7-1 ECAC). The game is slated to begin at 7 p.m. at Houston Field House in Troy, New York.