HANOVER, N.H. - The Boston University men's ice hockey team had its three-game win streak snapped in a 5-4 setback at Dartmouth on Saturday evening at Thompson Arena.
BU jumped out to an early 3-0 lead before the Big Green rallied to draw even. Freshman Wilmer Skoog scored a lacrosse-style goal to give the visitors a 4-3 lead in the second but Dartmouth responded with two goals less than a minute apart later in the period to take a lead it would not relinquish.
The Terriers move to 7-7-5 on the year while the Big Green improves to 8-5-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Just 2:01 into the game, a wraparound attempt by sophomore Jake Wise went off Dartmouth netminder Adrian Clark but the puck landed right in front of freshman Sam Stevens at the left crease for an easy tap-in and a 1-0 lead.
- BU doubled its lead just over three minutes later when junior David Farrance found senior Gabriel Chabot with a cross-ice pass to the far right slot.
- Chabot helped push the lead to 3-0 at the 13:19 mark of the first as his backhand pass was sent in by sophomore Matthew Quercia at the right post.
- The cushion was gone in a blink of an eye, however, as Dartmouth scored three times in a span of 1:40 to draw even before the end of the opening period.
- Mark Gallant got things started for the Big Green with a power-play goal off a rebound at 15:06.
- At 16:22, Matt Baker made it a one-goal game before Quin Foreman completed the spurt and the comeback just 24 seconds later.
- After Dartmouth tied it up, graduate student Sam Tucker was replaced in goal by freshman Ashton Abel, who made his NCAA debut.
- Skoog provided the highlight of the night when he corralled a deflected puck and curled around the back of the net before executing a lacrosse-style "Michigan" goal at the right post at 1:46 of the second period to allow BU to regain the lead at 4-3.
- It was Dartmouth's Drew O'Connor that provided the decisive goals as the sophomore got took advantage of Abel being out of position to score an equalizer at 11:05 of the middle stanza before giving the Big Green the lead 47 seconds later.
- BU appeared to tie the game with a little over two minutes remaining in the second on a goal by junior Cam Crotty a rush but it overturned followed a video review due to goaltender interference.
- Looking for a tying goal in the third, the Terriers instead took three penalties and Clark stood tall down the stretch to seal the win for the Big Green.
- Eleven Terriers recorded at least one point with Chabot the lone multi-point scorer.
- BU held a 39-37 shot advantage despite Dartmouth recording 20 shots in the opening period.
- Tucker made 12 saves on 15 shots before Abel turned in a 20-save performance while allowing two goals.
- BU was 0-for-4 on the power play while the Big Green went 1-for-6.
- Freshman Case McCarthy had a game-high four blocked shots.
- The Terriers will return to Hockey East play on Friday (Jan. 17) when they visit Merrimack.
- Game time at Lawler Arena is set for 7 p.m.