WALTHAM, Mass. - With 3:38 remaining in overtime, Jakov Novak scored the game-winning goal for the Falcons on Friday evening as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team fell to Bentley, 3-2, at the Bentley Arena. Junior assistant captain Charlie Kelleher (Longmeadow, Mass.) posted a goal and an assist to lead UNH. The Wildcats fall to 1-1-1 on the season in their second overtime appearance in just three games. Bentley improves to 1-2-0.
UP NEXT: The Wildcats will conclude their season-opening five-game road trip when they start Hockey East action at Merrimack on Friday, Oct. 25 and at No. 20 Boston University on Saturday, Oct. 26. Both games are set to start at 7 p.m.
Score: Bentley 3, New Hampshire 2 (OT)
Location: Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Arena)
Date: Friday, Oct. 18, 2019
Time: 7:05 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UNH outshot Bentley, 6-3, while the Falcons went 0-1 on the power play in the first period.
- At 12:05 in the second period, Bentley's Ethan Roswell sent a slapshot to the upper glove side of the net from the top of the right face-off circle past junior Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) to make the score 1-0.
- The Wildcats would tie the score up at 16:57 of the second period when junior Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) wound up for a slap shot from the top of the right face-off circle that rocketed past the lower glove side of Aiden Pelino for a power-play goal. The goal was assisted by sophomore Jackson Pierson (Zionsville, Ind.) and Kelleher.
- The Wildcats outshot the Falcons 11-7 in the second period. UNH went 1-2 on the power-play while Bentley went 0-1.
- UNH broke the tie just 39 seconds after the opening face-off of the third period when a Pierson wrist shot from the front of the net ricocheted past the goalie to Kelleher who knocked it in.
- Junior assistant captain Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa) also assisted on the play.
- At 7:46 in the third period, the Falcons tied the score at 2-2 after a wrist shot from the center of the left face-off circle by Matt Gosiewski went past the upper glove side of the net.
- At the end of the third period, the score remained tied 2-2, UNH outshot Bentley 8-3 while both teams went 0-1 on the power-play.
- At 1:22 in overtime, Bentley's Jakov Novak skated around the left face-off circle and sent a back-handed shot to the upper stick side of the net past Robinson for a power-play goal for the win.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- UNH outshot Bentley by a 25-14 margin.
- Robinson made 11 saves, while Pelino posted 23.
- Both teams finished 1-3 on the power-play.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- UNH is now 2-2-0 all-time versus Bentley.
- This is the first time the Wildcats have traveled to the Bentley Arena, with the previous matchups all occurring at the Whittemore Center.
- Kelleher has seven points with two goals and five assists through the first three games.
- Pierson has six points with two goals and four assists, while Gildon has five points with two goals and three assists after three games.