PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Boston College struck for three goals in the second period and held on for a 3-2 win at Schneider Arena on Saturday night (Nov. 2).
Providence - 2 | Boston College - 3
No. 8/7 Providence - 4-3-1 (2-2-0 HEAM) | No. 15 Boston College - 3-4-0 (1-2-0 HEAM)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 36 saves
Spencer Knight (BC) - 29 saves
- The Eagles carried the play in the opening period, outshooting the Friars by a 10-5 margin but Lackey was up to the task.
- Jack Dugan gave the Friars the lead 5:00 into the second period with a power play strike for his fifth goal of the season.
- Greg Printz was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct and the Eagles took advantage with a pair of power play goals to take a 2-1 lead midway through the second period.
- Julius Mattila gave Boston College insurance with a goal at 19:48 of the period.
- Trailing 3-1 late in the third period, the Friars challenged a hit by David Cotton on Albin Nilsson. Cotton was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct for a hit from behind.
- With an extra attacker, Tyce Thompson brought the Friars back within one with 1:05 remaining in regulation.
- The Friars pushed in the final seconds but couldn't find the equalizer with the goaltender pulled.
- Michael Lackey finished the night with 29 saves.
- Dugan still holds the NCAA scoring lead with 18 points (5-13-18) in eight games and has posted multi-point efforts in seven of eight games, including his four-game point streak (2-7-9)
- Thompson has posted six goals and four assists during his six-game point streak.
- Defenseman Michael Callahan has a goal and five assists during his four-game point streak.
- The Friars fell to 1-3-1 on home ice this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 5:00/2nd - PP - Jack Dugan (Callahan, Thompson) - Snap shot from the top of the right circle under the crossbar.
1-1 (BC) - 10:47/2nd - PP - Alex Newhook (McPhee, Moore) - Slap pass from the point from McPhee to Newhook at the top of the crease for the re-direct.
2-1 (BC) - 11:39/2nd - PP - David Cotton (Rasenen Mattila) - Stuffed a loose puck in the crease past Lackey.
3-1 (BC) - 19:48/2nd - EV - Julius Mattila (Cotton, Rasenen) - Centering feed from Cotton to Mattila and he fired a wrist shot over the blocker of Lackey.
3-2 (PC) - 18:55/3rd - EX - Tyce Thompson (Dugan, Callahan) - Dugan sent a cross-ice pass to Thompson who wristed a shot over the blocker of Knight.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Dugan, Thompson (1)
Assists: Callahan (2)
Points: Callahan, Dugan (2)
Shots: Callahan, Moynihan (5)
Providence - 2/5
Boston College - 2/6
Providence - 39
Boston College - 31
The Friars will tangle with Boston University for a home-and-home series beginning next Friday night (Nov. 8) at Agganis Arena.