LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Jack Dugan, Luke Johnson and Matt Koopman each scored, while Tyce Thompson and Michael Callahan had a pair of assists as the No. 14 Providence College men's hockey team defeated No. 20 Army West Point, 3-1, at the Fortress Invitational. Providence will play the winner of tonight's game between Ohio State and Cornell.
Providence - 3 | Army West Point - 1
No. 14 Providence - 11-5-4 (6-4-2 HEAM) | No. 20 Army West Point - 13-6-1 (10-5-1 AHC)
T-Mobile Arena - Las Vegas, Nev.
Michael Lackey (PC) - 22 saves
Trevin Kozlowski (Army) - 12 saves
- The Friars cashed in early on the power play as Jack Dugan tallied his seventh goal of the season, second on the power play on assists from Michael Callahan and Tyce Thompson.
- Army appeared poised to even things up midway through the period with a 5-on-3 for a full two minutes, but the Black Knights took a minor just six seconds into the opportunity and the Friars killed it off to keep the one-goal lead.
- Luke Johnson found a seam through the Black Knights' defense for his second goal of the season to give the Friars a two-goal cushion.
- A scoreless second period saw the Friars kill off two additional penalties to keep things at 2-0.
- Army led 14-9 in shots through 40 minutes.
- Matt Koopman extended the Friar lead to 3-0 at 7:26 of the third after finishing off a highlight-reel pass from Thompson.
- Army's Thomas Farrell got the Black Knights on the board at 11:57.
- Jack Dugan recorded his NCAA-leading 36th point with his seventh goal of the season in the first period.
- Tyce Thompson now has 11 multi-point games this season and 17 games of at least one point.
- Co-captain Michael Callahan recorded his fifth multi-point game of the season with two assists.
- Providence scored first for the 18th time in 20 games this season.
- The Friars are unbeaten in their last four games (3-0-1).
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 9:23/1st - PP - Jack Dugan (Callahan, Thompson) - Callahan fed Dugan at the right circle and he beat Kozlowski with a five-hole shot.
2-0 (PC) - 16:35/1st - EV - Luke Johnson (Moynihan, Koopman) - Shot from the half wall through a screen.
3-0 (PC) - 7:26/3rd - EV - Matt Koopman (Thompson, Callahan) - Curl and drag by Thompson at the blue line and he feeds Koopman who wired a shot over the blocker of Kozlowski.
3-1 (Army) - 11:57/3rd - EV - Thomas Farrell (Franco, Bilek) - One-timer from the top of the circle.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Dugan, Johnson, M. Koopman (1)
Assists: Callahan, Thompson (2)
Points: Callahan, Thompson (2)
Shots: McDonald (4)
Providence - 1/2
Army West Point - 0/4
Providence - 15
Army West Point - 23