PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Sophomore Jason O'Neill scored 20 seconds into the game but that's all the offense could muster as the No. 10 Providence College men's hockey team tied New Hampshire, 1-1, on Friday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 10 Providence - 1 | New Hampshire - 1
Providence - 7-4-3 (4-2-1 HEA) | New Hampshire - 2-6-5 (1-3-3 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 23 saves
Mike Robinson (UNH) - 32 saves
- The Friars jumped on to top just 20 seconds into the game as Jason O'Neill netted his second goal of the season on an assist from Kasper Björkqvist. O'Neill came in hard on the forecheck and forced a turnover then fired a shot from a tough angle that caught Robinson by surprise.
- Providence controlled play for most of the first period, outshooting the Wildcats by a 15-6 margin.
- With the Friars on the power play early in the second period, New Hampshire tied the game with a shorthanded goal by Brendan van Riemsdyk following a turnover at the offensive blue line.
- The Wildcats gained momentum following the tying goal and generated quality scoring chances in the Friars' zone.
- Greg Printz boasted Providence's best opportunity of the second period, but his snap shot from the right circle rang off the crossbar.
- Neither team could generate much offense in the third period as each team registered nine shots on goal in the third stanza. Both Hayden Hawkey and Mike Robinson stood tall through overtime to keep the score knotted at 1-1.
- Providence won 34-of-57 faceoffs.
- The Friars are winless in their last three games (0-1-2) and currently sit tied for third in the Hockey East standings with nine points.
- Josh Wilkins missed the first game of his career on Friday night. He had appeared in 92-consecutive games to begin his career.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 0:20/1st - EV - Jason O'Neill (Bjorkqvist) - Wrist shot from the
bottom of the left circle deflected off the goalie's arm and in.
1-1 (UNH) - 7:24/2nd - SH - Brendan van Riemsdyk (Blackburn) - Pass across the crease from Blackburn to van Riemsdyk at the bottom of the right circle for a one-timer.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: O'Neill (1)
Assists: Björkqvist (1)
Points: Björkqvist, O'Neill (1)
Shots: Bryson (4)
Providence - 0/4
New Hampshire - 0/5
Providence - 33
New Hampshire - 24
The Friars and Wildcats conclude their regular season series tomorrow night at the Whittemore Center in Durham, N.H.