PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Tyce Thompson's goal in the second period held up as the game-winner as the No. 13 Providence College men's hockey team earned a sweep over No. 10/11 UMass Lowell with a 1-0 win at Schneider Arena on Saturday night. Hayden Hawkey earned his seventh shutout of the season, which is tied for the national lead.
No. 13/13 Providence - 1 | No. 10/11 UMass Lowell - 0
Providence - 18-9-5 (11-7-2 HEA) | UMass Lowell - 17-10-2 (11-6-2 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 21 saves
Chris Hernberg (UML) - 28 saves
- The game remained scoreless through the first period, Providence tallied 11 shots compared to UMass Lowell's seven. Scott Conway nearly gave Providence a one-goal advantage five minutes into the period, Conway toe dragged through two defenders but put his wrist shot off the left post.
- Tyce Thompson put the Friars in front on his sixth goal of the season with 4:01 left in the middle stanza. Michael Callahan wired a wrist shot from the middle of the circles that rebounded to Thompson on the left side of the net, Thompson hit the open net before Chris Hernberg could rotate over to give Providence a 1-0 lead.
- The River Hawks failed to convert on separate power play opportunities in the period. Hawkey tallied nine saves over Hernberg's six saves in the second period.
- The final period included four power play opportunities for Providence and two for UMass Lowell, neither team could find the back of the net with the man-advantage.
- Hawkey stopped all 21 shots for his seventh shutout of the season and 15th career shutout.
- The Friars honored seniors Jon Barry, Scott Conway, Vincent Desharnais, Garrett Gamez, Hayden Hawkey, Bryan Lemos, Ryan Tait and student equipment assistant Sam Scanlon. prior to puck drop for their contributions to the program over the last four years.
- Providence moved into a tie for second place in the Hockey East with UMass Lowell following their win, each holding 24 points apiece.
- The Friars extended their winning streak over the River Hawks to six games, sweeping the regular season series in each of the last three years.
- The shutout was Hawkey's first of the season at home, the other six have come in road or neutral contests this season. The Friars have recorded two 1-0 shutout wins over the last four games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 15:59/2nd - EV - Tyce Thompson (Callahan, Conway) - Rebound to the left circle that that
Thompson one-timed into the top left corner with Hernberg out of position.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Thompson (1)
Assists: Callahan, Conway (1)
Points: Callahan, Conway, Thompson (1)
Shots: Mirageas (5)
Providence - 0/5
UMass Lowell - 0/4
Providence - 29
UMass Lowell - 21
The Friars will play host to the University of Massachusetts next Saturday, Feb. 23 at Schneider Arena at 5:00 p.m.