PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Anthony Del Gaizo tipped in a point shot with 1:49 remaining to give the No. 9/9 UMass Minutemen a 3-2 win over the Providence College men's hockey team on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 4/3 Providence - 2 | No. 9/9 UMass - 3
Providence - 5-3-1 (2-2-0 HEA) | UMass - 8-1-0 (5-0-0 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 10 saves
Matt Murray (UM) - 29 saves
- Similar to Thursday, the Minutemen struck early on the power play as Philip Lagunov notched his fourth goal of the season at 3:35 of the first period.
- The Minutemen extended their lead to 2-0 shorthanded after Brett Boeing forced a turnover behind the Friar net and put a wrap-around into an empty net.
- The momentum swung towards Providence in the second period as they struck twice to tie the game at 2-2 after 40 minutes.
- Jack Dugan registered his third goal of the season and team-high ninth point at 5:56. Josh Wilkins and Jacob Bryson earned the assists.
- Greg Printz notched the equalizer at 12:02 streaking down the right wing and whistling a shot past the blocker of Murray. Ryan Tait and Bryson assisted on the play.
- Brandon Duhaime nearly gave the Friars the lead late in the period on a 2-on-1, but his attempt rang off the post.
- Despite a 15-2 edge in shots in the final period for the Friars, it was the Minutemen who found the back of the net as Anthony Del Gaizo scored with 1:49 remaining.
- The Friars erased a 2-0 deficit for the second-consecutive game.
- Providence surrendered a season-low 13 shots on goal.
- The Friars held a 62-25 advantage in shot attempts and a 34-26 edge at the faceoff dot.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (UMass) - 3:35/1st - PP - Philip Lagunov (Trivigno, Del Gaizo) - Pass to a streaking Lagunov who fired a wrist shot under the arm of Hawkey.
2-0 (UMass) - 17:34/1st - SH - Brett Boing - Turnover behind the Friar net led to an empty net tap-in for Boeing.
2-1 (Providence) - 5:56/2nd - EV - Jack Dugan (Wilkins, Bryson) - Wrist shot from the high slot.
2-2 (Providence) - 12:02/2nd - EV - Greg Printz (Tait, Bryson) - Coming down the off-wing, Printz beat Murray under the blocker to the far side.
3-2 (UMass) - 18:11/3rd - EV - Anthony Del Gaizo (Felix, Boeing) - Point shot from Colin Felix re-directed in front by Del Gaizo.
Providence - 0/7
UMass - 1/4
Providence - 31
UMass - 13
The Friars are back in action next weekend for a home-and-home series with Merrimack beginning Friday night in North Andover.