BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The fifth-ranked Providence College men's hockey got goals from Bryan Lemos and Josh Wilkins but a late goal drew the host Sacred Heart Pioneers to a 2-2 tie on Saturday night at Webster Bank Arena.
No. 5 Providence - 2 | Sacred Heart - 2
Providence - 3-1-1 (1-0-0 HEA) | Sacred Heart - 0-2-1 (0-0-0 AHC)
Webster Bank Arena - Bridgeport, Conn.
Gabe Mollot-Hill (PC) - 25 saves
Brett Magnus (SHU) - 31 saves
- The Friars got off and running just 4:09 in as Bryan Lemos, in his first appearance since Nov. 25, 2017, scored off an assist from Ryan Tait.
- Providence extended its lead to 2-0 at the 11:56 mark as Josh Wilkins finished off a highlight reel goal for his second tally in as many nights. Lemos and Callahan earned the assists on the play.
- Mollot-Hill stopped all seven shots he faced in the first period.
- The Friars were forced to the penalty kill four times in the second period and the Pioneers were able to cut the deficit in half on a goal by Mike Lee at 9:59.
- Mollot-Hill stood tall in the waning moments of the period with the Friars down a man.
- Sacred Heart cut the deficit in half midway through the second period on Jason Cotton's power play goal.
- The Friars nearly added insurance in the third period when Shane Kavanagh's backhand attempt was denied by Magnus after the junior walked in all alone.
- The Pioneers got the equalizer with just under three minutes remaining as Austin McIllmurray pounced on a loose puck and fired it inside the far post.
- Mollot-Hill started his first career game for the Friars on Saturday night. He had appeared in five games in relief last season for Providence. Both of his two career decisions have been ties.
- Hayden Hawkey's streak of 83-consecutive starts ended on Saturday night.
- Lemos' two points were his first multi-point effort since Jan. 28, 2017 at New Hampshire.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 4:09/1st - EV - Bryan Lemos (Tait) - Wrist shot from the top of the circle under the blocker of Magnus on the short side.
2-0 (Providence) - 11:56/1st - EV - Josh Wilkins (Lemos, Callahan) - Drop pass from Lemos at the blue line to Wilkins who tucked the puck between his legs and snapped a quick shot over the glove.
2-1 (Sacred Heart) - 9:59/2nd - PP - Jason Cotton (Johnstone, Lee) - Re-direct out front of a point shot.
2-2 (Sacred Heart) - 17:14/3rd - EV - Austin McIllmurray (Tugnutt, Johnstone) - Wrist shot blocker side on a loose puck in the slot.
Providence - 0/4
Sacred Heart - 1/7
Providence - 33
Sacred Heart - 27
The Friars return to Hockey East play next Friday (Oct. 26) at Boston University beginning at 7:30 p.m.