DURHAM, N.H. - After trailing 1-0 early in the first period, UNH scored four unanswered goals from four different players, while sophomore goalie Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) made 33 saves as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team defeated No. 19 Miami, 4-1, at the Whittemore Center on Saturday evening. With the win, the Wildcats improve to 2-6-4 while Miami falls to 9-6-1.
UNH will play a home-and-home series with No. 9 Providence on Friday, Nov. 30-Saturday, Dec. 1. Friday's game is on the road, while the contest on Saturday is at the Whittemore Center on ESPN+. Both games are at 7 p.m. UNH Cooperative Extension's 4-H Youth Development partners with UNH Hockey again this season to help share their message about developing life skills and forming attitudes that help young people become self-directed, productive, contributing members of society. Plus, it's time for another 'Cats on the Concourse. Some of your favorite UNH student-athletes will be on hand to sign autographs and interact with the fans. You can buy tickets by calling the Center Box Office at (603) 862-4000 or by visiting UNHWildcats.com.
Score: New Hampshire 4, #19 Miami 1
Records: New Hampshire (2-6-4, 1-3-2 HEA), Miami (9-6-1, 3-3-0 NCHC)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Friday, Nov. 24, 2018
Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The RedHawks made it 1-0 at 10:28 of the first period when Josh Melnick sent a wrist shot to the upper corner on the glove side of the net on a two--on-one for Miami coming off a pass from Gordie Green and Johnathan Gruden.
- After a Miami penalty for boarding, the Wildcats scored to tie the game at 14:39 after junior Brendan van Riemsdyk (Middletown, N.J.) sent a pass from behind the net to junior Liam Blackburn (Prince George, British Columbia) who backhanded it glove side past the goalie.
- After the first period, UNH was 1-3 on the power play and Miami was 0-1. Sophomore Mike Robinson (Bedford. N.H.) had 10 saves while Jordan Uhelski had eight.
- After the second period, the score remained tied at 1-1. UNH outshot Miami 12-10. The Wildcats were 0-1 on the power play while the RedHawks were 0-2.
- UNH opened the scoring in the third period at 11:05 after senior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) sent a pass from behind the net to freshman Angus Crookshank (North Vancouver, British Columbia) who's shot was redirected by Uhelski to sophomore Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa). Grasso then shot the puck to the upper glove side of the net for the power play goal to give the Wildcats the 2-1 lead.
- UNH scored again to make the score 3-1 at 13:49 when freshman Will MacKinnon (Plymouth, Mich.) lofted the puck to center ice where senior Marcus Vela (Burnaby, British Columbia) won the battle for the puck. He then skated with the puck into Miami's zone where he shot the puck through Uhelski's legs to the lower stick side of the net.
- An empty net goal at 16:37 by sophomore Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) from the opposite end of the ice capped off four unanswered goals to make the final score 4-1.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Miami outshot UNH by a 34-28 margin.
- Robinson made 33 saves, while Uhelski recorded 24.
- The Wildcats went 2-5 on the power play and the RedHawks went 0-5.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- Blackburn has scored a goal in two straight games.
- Grasso scored his first goal of the season. The goal is his fifth career game winner.
- UNH improves to 1-2-1 against nationally ranked teams this season.
- Gildon has now recorded a point in five straight games.