ERIE, Pa. - Junior defenseman Spenser Young scored twice and Hayden Hawkey stopped all 22 shots he faced as the No. 4/5 Providence College men's hockey team blanked Miami University, 4-0, on day one of the 2018 Ice Breaker Tournament in Erie, Pa.
No. 4/5 Providence - 4 | Miami - 0
Providence - 2-0-0 (0-0-0 HEA) | Miami - 2-1-0 (0-0-0 NCHC)
Erie Insurance Arena - Erie, Pa.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 22 saves
Ryan Larkin (MU) - 29 saves
- The RedHawks controlled play in the early going, generating the first five shots on goal.
- Providence cashed in on their first two shots of the game midway through the first period.
- Greg Printz netted his second goal of the season after he turned and fired a bouncing puck in the top of the slot. Ben Mirageas was credited the assist on the play.
- Just 1:28 later, Vimal Sukumaran re-directed a shot from the point by Vincent Desharnais.
- The teams skated through a scoreless second period, as the Friars out-shot the RedHawks by a 12-5 margin in the middle period.
- The Providence penalty kill was stout all evening, killing off all seven chances while allowing six shots on goal.
- Spenser Young gave the Friars some insurance in the third period with a pair of goals to put the game out of reach. Young cashed in on the power play with 6:51 remaining then hit an empty net from nearly 200-feet away to seal the 4-0 win.
- Jack Dugan, Jay O'Brien, and Spenser Young each had a game-high four shots on goal.
- Providence is 7-1-2 in their last 10 games against the RedHawks.
- Hawkey recorded his 50th win as a Friar and his ninth career shutout to move into second place on the program's all-time shutout list.
- The program sits at 999 wins all-time after tonight's win.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 8:45/1st - EV - Greg Printz (Mirageas) - Turn-around shot from the high slot through a screen.
2-0 (Providence) - 10:13/1st - EV - Vimal Sukumaran (Desharnais, Bryson) - Shot from the point by Desharnais, re-directed by Sukumaran in front of the net.
3-0 (Providence) - 13:09/3rd - PP - Spenser Young (Dugan) - Wrist shot to the top corner after a cross-ice feed from Dugan.
4-0 (Providence) - 18:16/3rd - EN - Spenser Young - Empty net goal from 200 feet.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Young (2)
Assists: Bryson, Desharnais, Dugan, Mirageas (1)
Points: Young (2)
Shots: Dugan, O'Brien, Young (4)
Providence - 1/3
Miami - 0/7
Providence - 33
Miami - 22
The Friars will play either No. 2 Notre Dame or Mercyhurst on Saturday night on day two of the 2018 Ice Breaker.