PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The No. 16 Miami RedHawks rallied from a 3-1 third period deficit to earn a tie with the No. 10 Providence College men's hockey team on Saturday night at Schneider Arena. The Friars' unbeaten streak was extended to eight games in the process (5-0-3).
No. 10 Providence - 3 | No. 16 Miami - 3
Providence - 12-4-4 (6-2-1 HEA) | Miami - 9-7-4 (3-3-2 NCHC)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 27 saves
Ryan Larkin (Miami) - 31 saves
- Scott Conway cashed in with a goal in his fifth-consecutive game at 5:35 of the first period, his ninth strike of the season to put the Friars up 1-0 on the power play.
- The teams combined for 20 penalty minutes in the opening period.
- Ben Mirageas tallied his second goal of the season as his wrist shot through a screen beat Larkin to the glove side. It was his first goal since Nov. 3.
- Back-to-back penalties in the third period gave the RedHawks momentum and they cut the deficit in half on Ryan Siroky's goal at 5:58.
- Bryan Lemos responded just 13 seconds later for the Friars with his second goal of the season to regain the two-goal cushion at 3-1.
- Christian Mohs made it a 3-2 game after his wrist shot bounced in off a Friar defenseman.
- Miami tied things up with 41.2 left on the clock as Gordie Green re-directed the tying goal past Hawkey with the extra attacker.
- The Friars held a big territorial advantage in overtime, but Larkin held them at bay to secure the 3-3 tie.
- Björkqvist's point streak was snapped at seven games.
- Wilkins extended his career-long point streak to 10 games (4-12-16). He leads the Friars in scoring with 23 points overall.
- Jack Dugan now has a career-long five-game point streak (1-5-6).
- Conway has six goals and three assists over his last six games.
- Providence improved to 8-1-3 in their last 12 games against the RedHawks.
- The Friars are now 9-0-2 when leading after 40 minutes this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 5:35/1st - PP - Scott Conway (Young, Thompson) - Young turned and slid a pass from the right point to the top of the crease where Conway deflected it in.
2-0 (Providence) - 12:37/2nd - PP - Ben Mirageas (Dugan, Conway) - Dugan dropped a pass from the right circle to the point where Mirageas finished a wrist shot through traffic.
2-1 (Miami) - 5:58/3rd - PP - Ryan Siroky (Gruden, Hutton) - Gruden delivered a pass across the crease to Siroky's stick that he finished with a wrist shot.
3-1 (Providence) - 6:11/3rd - EV - Bryan Lemos (Duhaime, Wilkins) - Lemos skated onto a puck bouncing around in front of the crease that he beat the Miami goalie stick side.
3-2 (Miami) - 14:39/3rd - EV - Christian Mohs (Mahalak, Siroky) - Mohs shot from the right point deflected off Callahan's body past Hawkey.
3-3 (Miami) - 19:18/3rd - EV - Gordie Green (Melnick, Hutton) - Melnick passed from the right dot to Green sitting in front of the net that and he re-directed a shot over the glove of Hawkey.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Conway, Lemos, Mirageas (1)
Assists: Young, Conway, Dugan, Duhaime, Wilkins, Thompson (1)
Points: Conway (2)
Shots: Conway, Callahan (4)
Providence - 2/4
Miami - 1/7
Providence - 34
Miami - 30
The Friars hit the road in Hockey East play next Friday night (Jan. 11) at Boston College beginning at 7 p.m.