WORCESTER, Mass. - Hayden Hawkey made 27 saves for his second-consecutive shutout as the No. 3 Providence College men's hockey team claimed a 3-0 win over Holy Cross on Saturday night at the Hart Center in Worcester, Mass.
No. 3 Providence - 3 | Holy Cross - 0
Providence - 5-1-1 (2-0-0 HEA) | Holy Cross - 1-5-0 (1-2-0 AHC)
Hart Center - Worcester, Mass.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 27 saves
Beau Collins (HC) - 35 saves
- A scoreless first period saw the Friars kill off three penalties, including a 5-on-3 or 1:10.
- Ryan Tait led the Friars with four shots on goal in the opening period.
- A late Holy Cross penalty in the first period led to Providence's opening marker just 1:11 into the second period. Spenser Young wired a shot that deflected off of Holy Cross' Kevin Derrar and past Beau Collins for the 1-0 lead. Josh Wilkins and Jacob Bryson earned assists on the play.
- While killing a penalty, Kasper Björkqvist was sent in on a clean breakaway but his shot rang off the post and out.
- Freshman Jay O'Brien returned to the Friar lineup after missing two games and had two high-danger chances in the slot during power plays in the second period.
- Ben Mirageas struck for his first goal of the season early in the third period to give Providence insurance at 2-0.
- Hawkey preserved the shutout during a Holy Cross power play in the third period, whirling around the crease and pulling the puck off the goal line. Officials reviewed but the call on the ice of no goal stood.
- Brandon Duhaime added his third goal in two games with an empty net tally with 1:36 to play.
- Holy Cross' Ryan Leibold was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct for contact to the head with 1:02 remaining as emotions flared between the two teams.
- Young now has a team-high four goals this season for the Friars.
- Hawkey recorded the program's first back-to-back shutouts since Jon Gillies against Army (11/25/14) and Boston College (11/29/14). He now has a 1.01 GAA and .955 save percentage through six games.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 1:11/2nd - PP - Spenser Young (Wilkins, Bryson) - Wilkins one-timed a pass across the tops of the circles, Young walked in and fired a shot off a Holy Cross defenseman's stick and through Collins.
2-0 (Providence) - 5:49/3rd - EV - Ben Mirageas (Duhaime) - Wrister from the point through traffic.
3-0 (Providence) - 18:24/3rd - EN - Brandon Duhaime (Wilkins, Mirageas) - Empty net goal from outside the offensive blue line.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Young, Mirageas, Duhaime (1)
Assists: Wilkins (2)
Points: Mirageas, Duhaime, Wilkins (2)
Shots: Conway, Printz (6)
Providence - 1/5
Holy Cross - 0/7
Providence - 38
Holy Cross - 27
The Friars match up against UMass next weekend for a key Hockey East home-and-home series beginning Thursday night in Amherst, followed by Saturday night's contest at Schneider Arena.