DENVER, Colo. - The No. 9 Providence College men's hockey team and the No. 7 University of Denver Pioneers skated to an entertaining 4-4 tie in the series finale on Saturday night at Magness Arena. The Friars move to 7-4-2 overall this season with the draw.
No. 9 Providence - 4 | No. 7 Denver- 4
Providence - 7-4-2 (4-2-0 HEA) | Denver - 7-3-2 (3-3-0 NCHC)
Magness Arena - Denver, Colo.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 34 saves
Filip Larsson (DU) - 42 saves
- The teams exchanged goals just seven seconds apart in the first period as Jack Dugan netted his sixth goal of the season right before Cole Guttman knotted the game off the ensuing faceoff.
- The Friars controlled play in the second but each team found the back of the net twice in the middle stanza.
- Providence opened up a 3-1 lead with a pair of goals 2:19 apart.
- Josh Wilkins finished off a rebound for his fourth goal of the season at 3:28, followed by Kasper Björkqvist's team-high seventh goal of the season to give the Friars a two-goal cushion.
- Moment's later, Friar junior Brandon Duhaime was assessed a five-minute major and a game misconduct and the Pioneers cashed in twice on the man-advantage to knot the game at 3-3 on goals from Emilio Pettersen and Tyler Ward.
- Greg Printz re-gained the lead for the Friars at 4:34 of the third period with his sixth goal of the season and second of the weekend.
- Denver responded right away just 20 seconds later off a turnover behind the Providence net. Jaakko Heikkenen beat Hawkey on a wrap-around.
- Two big penalty kills by the Friars late in the third period brought the game to overtime.
- Each team had good chances to end things, but it was Hayden Hawkey who robbed Jared Lukosevicius with a remarkable glove save in the final half minute of overtime.
- Hawkey posted a season-high 34 saves in the effort.
- Bryson recorded his first career three assist game.
- Dugan recorded a goal and an assist to continue his NCAA freshman scoring lead with 16 points (6-10-16).
- Providence won 35-of-76 faceoffs and had an 80-61 edge in shot attempts.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 6:13/1st - EV - Jack Dugan (Wilkins, Bryson) - Forehand deke on a breakaway.
1-1 (Denver) - 6:20/1st - EV - Cole Guttman (Comrie) - Snap shot from the high slot off a neutral zone faceoff win.
2-1 (Providence) - 3:28/2nd - EV - Josh Wilkins (Björkqvist, Bryson) - Finished off a rebound from Björkqvist at the top of the crease.
3-1 (Providence) - 5:47/2nd - PP - Kasper Björkqvist (Dugan, Bryson) - Collected a pass at the near post and stuffed a shot to the far side.
3-2 (Denver) - 9:07/2nd - PP - Emilio Pettersen (Stapley, Guttman) - Wrist shot through a screen.
3-3 (Denver) - 9:49/2nd - PP - Tyler Ward (Staub, Finlay) - Tip by Staub at the side of the net and Ward finished off the rebound.
4-3 (Providence) - 4:34/3rd - EV - Greg Printz (Callahan, Sukumaran) - Wrist shot into an open net after a rebound.
4-4 (Denver) - 4:54/3rd - EV - Jaakko Heikkenen - Intercepted a pass behind the Friars' net and beat Hawkey on a wrap-around.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Björkqvist, Dugan, Printz, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Bryson (3)
Points: Bryson (3)
Shots: Björkqvist (9)
Providence - 1/4
Denver - 2/8
Providence - 46
Denver - 38
The Friars return to Hockey East play next Friday night for the start of a home-and-home set with New Hampshire beginning at Schneider Arena on Nov. 30.