DENVER, Colo. - Greg Printz tied the game early in the third period but 39 saves from Devin Cooley and two third period goals led No. 7 Denver to a 3-1 win over the No. 7 Providence College men's hockey team on Friday night at Magness Arena in game one of a two-game series.
No. 9 Providence - 1 | No. 7 Denver- 3
Providence - 7-4-1 (4-2-0 HEA) | Denver - 7-3-1 (3-3-0 NCHC)
Magness Arena - Denver, Colo.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 27 saves
Devin Cooley (DU) - 39 saves
- A scoreless first period saw the Friars exchange chance after chance in the first half of the period, forcing Denver goaltender Devin Cooley to stand tall. The Pioneers gained some momentum later in the period with two power play opportunities to draw the shots even at 11 through 20 minutes.
- Providence's best chance of the first came on the power play as Kasper Björkqvist walked in alone on Cooley but his backhand attempt was denied by the left pad.
- The Friars opened the second period with the first 12 shots on goal on the strength of a 5-on-3 and a major penalty assessed to Tyson McLellan for charging into Hayden Hawkey.
- With Tyce Thompson in the penalty box, Denver broke through first at 16:29 of the second period on the power play on Colin Staub's first goal of the season.
- Providence knotted things up early in the third period on the power play as Josh Wilkins went end-to-end and fired a pass to Greg Printz at the top of the crease for his fifth goal of the season at 5:04.
- Denver regained the lead just 2:48 later with an extra attacker as Jaakko Heikkinen scored on a delayed penalty at 7:52.
- The Pioneers got the insurance marker at 12:25 with Tyler Ward's first goal of the season.
- Hayden Hawkey matched his season-high in saves with 27.
- Providence won 39-of-68 faceoffs and had a 69-45 edge in shot attempts.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Denver) - 16:29/2nd - PP - Colin Staub (Lancaster, Ward) - Shot by Lancaster from the point that was re-directed out front by Staub.
1-1 (Providence) - 5:04/3rd - PP - Greg Printz (Wilkins) - Re-direct at the top of the crease off a pass by Wilkins from the half wall.
2-1 (Denver) - 7:52/3rd - DP - Jaakko Heikkinen (Lukosevicious, Davies) - One-timer in the slot on a delayed penalty.
3-1 (Denver) - 12:25/3rd - EV - Tyler Ward (Stapley, Demin) - Tap-in from the top of the crease.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Printz (1)
Assists: Wilkins (1)
Points: Printz, Wilkins (1)
Shots: Björkqvist, Duhaime (5)
Providence - 1/7
Denver - 1/5
Providence - 40
Denver - 30
The Friars and Pioneers conclude their two-game series on Saturday night at Magness Arena. Puck drop is slated for 9:07 PM EST.