DURHAM, N.H. - Junior Liam Blackburn (Prince George, British Columbia) posted a career-best four points with one goal and three assists, while sophomore goalie Mike Robinson (Bedford, N.H.) posted his first career shutout as the University of New Hampshire men's hockey team defeated Dartmouth, 4-0, on Saturday evening at the Whittemore Center. The Wildcats improve to 4-7-5 while the Big Green fall to 4-5-1.
The Wildcats swept the home-and-home series versus the Big Green as they also won 3-2 last night in Hanover. Freshman Angus Crookshank (North Vancouver, British Columbia) tallied two goals and one assist for three points. The Wildcats are now 3-1-2 over the last six games.
- The Wildcats will return to action when they take on Bentley at the Whittemore Center on Sunday, Dec. 30 at 5:00 p.m. It will be Parrothead Night as fans can bring their skates for a post-game skate to your favorite island tunes. Also, the first 1,000 fans will receive a 2019 UNH men's hockey calendar. The game will be on NESN and TSN.
Score: New Hampshire 4, Dartmouth 0
Records: New Hampshire (4-7-5), Dartmouth (4-5-1)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Arena)
Date: Saturday, Dec. 8, 2018
Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At 1:43 of the first period the Wildcats got on the board as Blackburn sent a backhanded pass from behind the net to Crookshank who put a one-timer into the lower stick side of the net from the slot.
- At 4:08 of the period Crookshank scored his second goal of the game after tapping in a rebound right outside of the crease from Blackburn's close-range shot.
- Just 1:20 later the Wildcats made it 3-0 after Crookshank passed the puck from outside of the faceoff circle to sophomore Max Gildon (Plano, Texas) who shot a one-timer from the slot pass the stick-side of Justin Ferguson.
- At 14:38 of the first period Robinson made a diving stick save to keep Jeff Losurdo's shot out of the net and the Wildcats' 3-0 lead.
- Robinson made 12 saves during the first period and the Wildcats had eight shots while the Big Green had 12.
- Just 57 seconds after the opening faceoff of the second period, Blackburn put the Wildcats up 4-0 when he tipped in a wrist shot from freshman Will MacKinnon (Plymouth, Mich.) past the stick side of Adrian Clark.
- Robinson had nine saves for the period while Clark had six. The Big Green took nine shots while the Wildcats posted seven.
- UNH outshot Dartmouth 11-9 in the third period and Robinson made nine saves for the 4-0 final score.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Robinson posted 30 saves to earn the victory. Ferguson made two saves in the first 5:28 while Clark made 20 in the remaining 54:32.
- Dartmouth outshot UNH by a 30-26 margin.
- The Wildcats went 0-1 on the power play and the Big Green went 0-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- The Wildcats are now 3-1-2 over the last six games.
- UNH is 37-21-3 all-time versus the Big Green with a 3-0-1 record at the Whittemore Center.
- This is a career-best four-point game for Blackburn, who previously had three assists for three points against Northeastern on January 12, 2017.
- This is the most points for a Wildcat since Patrick Grasso had four goals for four points versus Merrimack on Oct. 29, 2016.
- This game extends Blackburn's point-streak to six games with three goals and six assists for nine points over this stretch.
- Crookshank earned two new career-highs with two goals and three points.
- Crookshank has at least one point in five of the last six games with three goals and five assists for eight points.
- Junior Justin Fregona (Mississauga, Ontario) set a career best with two assists and two points.