PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Scott Conway, Jack Dugan, and Tyce Thompson each tallied three points as the No. 5 Providence College men's hockey team opened Hockey East play with a 7-2 win over UConn on Friday night at Schneider Arena. The win marked the program's 1,000th victory all-time.
No. 5 Providence - 7 | UConn - 2
Providence - 3-1-0 (1-0-0 HEA) | UConn - 1-2-0 (0-1-0 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 24 saves
Adam Huska (UC) - 32 saves
- Providence got on the board first as freshman Michael Callahan notched his first career goal as he wired a wrist shot over the shoulder of Huska. Jack Dugan and Spenser Young assisted on the play.
- The Friars held a 14-10 edge in shots and killed off both of UConn's power plays in the opening period.
- Josh Wilkins extended the lead to 2-0 on the power with his first strike of the season. Wilkins beat Huska from the high slot with Kasper Björkqvist providing the screen out front.
- The Huskies responded 4:01 later as Karl El-Mir got the visitors on the board with a power play goal
- Freshman Jack Dugan cashed in on the power play 2:37 later with his first collegiate goal off a nice feed from Tyce Thompson, who recorded his first career point on the play.
- Björkqvist extended the lead to 4-1 at 16:28 of the second period as Davis Bunz's point shot deflected off of the captain's body.
- After UConn's Alexander Payusov cashed in on the power play early in the third period to cut the score to 4-2, the Friars answered with three unanswered goals to close out the game.
- Scott Conway, Jacob Bryson and Shane Kavanagh finished the scoring for the Friars.
- Eleven players found the scoresheet for Providence on Friday night.
- Conway led the team with seven shots on goal.
- Hayden Hawkey made 24 saves to improve to 3-1-0 this season.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Providence) - 7:56/1st - EV - Michael Callahan (Dugan, Young) - Wrist shot from the top of the circle over the shoulder of Huska.
2-0 (Providence) - 4:00/2nd - PP - Josh Wilkins (Bryson, Conway) - Shot from the high-slot through a screen.
2-1 (UConn) - 8:01/2nd - PP - Karl El-Mir (Kondelik) - Shot from the slot off the far post and in.
3-1 (Providence) - 10:38 - PP - Jack Dugan (Thompson, Mirageas) - Cross-ice pass from Thompson to Dugan at the bottom of the circle for a one-timer.
4-1 (Providence) - 16:28 - EV - Kasper Björkqvist (Bunz, Thompson) - Shot from the point by Bunz and the rebound deflected in off the body of Björkqvist.
4-2 (UConn) - 2:09 - PP - Alexander Payusov (Kondelik, Wisocky) - One-timer from the far circle.
5-2 (Providence) - 10:40 - PP - Scott Conway (Bjorkqvist, Dugan) - Wrist shot under the crossbar from the bottom of the slot.
6-2 (Providence) - 19:01 - EN - Jacob Bryson (Conway) - Empty net goal from the defensive blue line.
7-2 (Providence) - 19:18 - EV - Shane Kavanagh (Thompson) - Snap shot from the high slot through traffic.
Providence - 3/4
UConn - 2/8
Providence - 39
UConn - 26
The Friars travel down to Bridgeport, Conn, tomorrow night to face off against Sacred Heart at 7 p.m.