BELFAST, Northern Ireland - The Boston University men's ice hockey team dropped a 2-1 contest to No. 11/12 Union in the championship game of the 2018 Friendship Four tournament at SSE Arena on Saturday evening.
Ty Amonte scored a goal in the final minute of the opening period to make it a 1-1 game at the first intermission but the Dutchmen scored early in the second and held on the rest of the way thanks to an outstanding 39-save performance from Darion Hanson.
BU moves to 4-6-1 overall while Union improves to 8-3-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Union scored 11:31 into the contest when Brett Supinski elevated a deflection over the shoulder of goaltender Jake Oettinger.
- Amonte made sure the Terriers headed into the first intermission all even as he punched in a rebound at the left crease following saved shots by juniors Patrick Curry and Dante Fabbro.
- A goal early in the second period proved to be the difference maker for the Dutchmen as Parker Foo converted on a rush from the foot of the right circle at the 3:25 mark.
- BU threatened late but Hanson was stellar down the stretch, backstopping the Dutchmen to the Belpot title.
- All five power-play chances occurred in the opening period and BU went 0-for-3 while killing off both of Union's chances.
- Oettinger made 36 saves for the Terriers, who held a 40-38 shot advantage.
- Amonte was named BU's Player of the Game while Foo earned the honor for Union.
- BU returns to its Hockey East schedule on Friday (Nov. 30) when it hosts archrival Boston College in the opener of a home-and-home weekend.
- The game will start at 7:30 p.m. and will be televised on NESN.