BOSTON - The Boston University men's ice hockey team was edged by UMass Lowell, 4-3, on Friday evening at Agganis Arena in the opener of home-and-home series.
Capped by senior Bobo Carpenter's power-play goal less than five minutes into the third, the Terriers rallied to tie the game after trailing 3-1. The visitors scored the decisive goal with 12:15 left in the third and added an empty netter to create the 5-3 final.
Freshman Joel Farabee assisted on all three goals while sophomores Ty Amonte and Cam Crotty also scored for the Terriers, who move to 4-8-2 overall and 4-5-2 in Hockey East play.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMass Lowell took a 2-0 lead into the first intermission thanks to even-strength goals from Chris Schutz and Connor Sodergren at 6:37 and 13:45 of the first period, respectively.
- Farabee singlehandedly set up Amonte's goal, weaving through the neutral zone and the Lowell zone before sliding a cross-crease pass to the sophomore, who buried a backhand at the left post to cut the deficit to 2-1 at 5:47 of the middle stanza.
- The River Hawks regained the two-goal cushion on a shot from the left dot by Anthony Baxter at 12:58 of the second.
- Exactly two minutes later, a right-point shot by Crotty hit off the post and in for his first goal of the season with sophomore Logan Cockerill providing an effective screen.
- The Crotty goal made it a 3-2 game entering the third.
- The eventual game-winner came off the stick of Seth Barton when Schutz found him at the foot of the right circle in transition at 7:45 of the third.
- Charlie Levesque added the empty netter to end BU's chances of another comeback.
- BU outshot the River Hawks, 37-28.
- Crotty's goal was his first of the season and both of his two career tallies have come against UMass Lowell.
- Senior Chris Hernberg turned in a 34-save performance for the River Hawks, making at least 10 saves in each period.
- Junior Jake Oettinger made 23 stops in goal for the Terriers.
- BU went 1-of-2 on the power play and killed off both of Lowell's chances with the man advantage.
- The Terriers and River Hawks will wrap up their home-and-home series on Saturday (Dec. 8) at Tsongas Center in Lowell.
- Game time is set for 7 p.m.