BOSTON - Sophomore Shane Bowers scored his second goal of the night with 24.9 seconds left in overtime to lift the No. 13/15 Boston University men's ice hockey team to a 5-4 exhibition victory over the U.S. National Under-18 Team on Saturday evening at Agganis Arena.
Eleven players got on the scoresheet for the Terriers, including goals from graduate student Max Willman, junior Dante Fabbro and freshman Joel Farabee in addition to the pair by Bowers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Down 2-1 early in the second period, BU reeled off three straight goals to take a 4-2 advantage with just under 19 minutes left in regulation.
- The U18s stormed back, getting goals 43 seconds apart midway through the third to send the game to overtime.
- Bowers ended the game with a nifty move through the crease to pull netminder Cameron Rowe out of position and create space for the overtime winner.
- Team USA wasted little time after the opening faceoff to get on the board as Judd Caufield scored 52 seconds in off assists by Trevor Zegras and Jack Hughes.
- BU tied it up midway through the first off a rush as Fabbro flung a perfectly placed wrister to the far post from the left circle.
- The U18 squad regained the lead on a power-play tally by Matthew Boldy at 2:20 of the second.
- The Terriers created another deadlock on Bowers' first tally of the night at the 14:27 mark of the middle stanza off helpers by sophomore Logan Cockerill and junior Patrick Harper.
- Willman gave BU its first lead of the evening with 2:27 left in the second when he took a pass from junior Patrick Curry and spun around at the top of the crease before popping a shot over Rowe and in.
- Farabee made it 4-2 in the Terriers' favor on a tally just 1:12 into the third.
- Alex Vlasic and Owen Lindmark erased the deficit for the visitors with tallies at 8:19 and 9:02, respectively, of the third.
- BU gave Team USA its third power-play chance of the night with 8:44 to play but it was unable to convert and the contest went to overtime.
- Curry posted two assists for the Terriers with the latter coming on Bowers' game winner.
- Zegras led all players in points with three - all assists - while Hughes had a pair of helpers.
- Team USA held a 39-35 shot advantage on the night and went 1-of-3 on the power play while killing off both of BU's power-play chances.
- Junior Jake Oettinger turned in a 35-save performance for the Terriers while Rowe made 30 stops on the other end.
- The Terriers will return to action on Saturday (Oct. 20) when they drive to North Andover to face Merrimack in the Hockey East opener for both teams.
- Game time at Lawler Rink is set for 7:30 p.m.