BOSTON - The Boston University men's ice hockey team dropped a 5-0 contest to No. 6 Providence on Friday night at Agganis Arena.
The Friars scored twice in each of the final two periods to pull away with the victory in the Terriers' home opener. BU fell to 0-4-0 (0-2-0 HEA) on the year while Providence improved to 4-1-1 (2-0-0 HEA).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Providence opened the scoring just 58 seconds into the proceedings when Jack Dugan gathered the puck behind the BU cage and banked a shot off of a BU's defender leg and into the back of the net.
- BU controlled the play for much of the opening 20 minutes, but despite three power-play chances, the Friars held on to their one-goal advantage through the first frame.
- Oettinger made a sensational diving stop to keep the deficit at just one early in the second stanza, but Brandon Duhaime tallied the first of his two goals on the night at 6:46 to extend his team's lead to 2-0.
- Two of the Friars' final three goals came on the power play, including their final marker at 4:24 of the third period.
- BU unveiled its 2018 Hockey East Championship banner prior to puck drop.
- Oettinger finished the game with 34 saves.
- The Friars' Hayden Hawkey stopped all 18 shots he saw.
- PC went 2-for-5 on the power play and killed off all four of BU's chances with the man advantage.
- BU returns to action on Thursday (Nov. 1) when the Terriers begin a home-and-home series with Northeastern at Matthews Arena.
- Thursday's tilt will be broadcast live on NESN beginning at 7 p.m.