PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Boston University Terriers rallied from a third period deficit to claim a 4-3 win over the No. 7/8 Providence College men's hockey team on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.
No. 7/8 Providence - 3 | Boston University - 4
Providence - 12-6-4 (6-4-1 HEA) | Boston University - 8-8-3 (7-5-2 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 22 saves
Jake Oettinger (BU) - 33 saves
- The Friars rushed out to a quick 2-0 lead within the opening 10 minutes of the first period.
- Josh Wilkins's one-timer on the power play, his eighth strike of the season, put the Friars up 1-0 at 6:30.
- Scott Conway put home his team-leading 10th goal of the season at 9:19 to give Providence a two-goal cushion.
- The Terriers tied things up with a pair of unanswered goals from Shane Bowers, with the tying goal coming midway through the second period.
- Conway added his second of the night just 11 seconds into the third period to put Providence up 3-2.
- Boston University responded just 2"57 later as David Farrance's drive from the point found its way through traffic on a delayed penalty.
- The Terriers went ahead for good on Logan Cockerill's third goal of the season at 8:03.
- Providence was forced to kill a five-minute major to conclude the game, but nearly tied it as Matt Koopman picked off a pass and raced in alone but Oettinger got a piece of his shot with the blocker.
- Wilkins extended his career-long point streak to 12 games (6-12-18). He leads the Friars in scoring with 24 points overall. The point streak is the longest in the NCAA this season.
- Jack Dugan's career-long point streak was snapped at six games.
- Conway now has eight goals over his last seven games.
- Jay O'Brien extended his point streak to four games (2-2-4).
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 6:30/1st - PP - Josh Wilkins (Bryson, O'Brien) - One-timer from the top of the right circle off a pass from Bryson.
2-0 (PC) - 9:19/1st - EV - Scott Conway (Duhaime, Thompson) - Duhaime jumped on a loose puck in the front of the net, his initial shot was stopped but Conway finished off the rebound.
2-1 (BU) - 11:09/1st - DP - Shane Bowers (Farrance, Carpenter) - Backhand over the shoulder on the short side during a delayed penalty.
2-2 (BU) - 11:07/2nd - EV - Shane Bowers (Farabee, Fabbro) - One-timer from the right faceoff circle off a rush.
3-2 (PC) - :11/3rd - EV - Scott Conway (Bryson, Young) - Chipped a backhand off his own rebound past Oettinger.
3-3 (BU) - 3:07/3rd - DP - David Farrance (Carpenter) - Slap shot from the point through a screen.
4-3 (BU) - 8:03/3rd - EV - Logan Cockerill (Carpenter, Kotkansalo) - Snap shot on the off-wing past the glove of Hawkey.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Conway (2)
Assists: Bryson (2)
Points: Conway, Bryson (2)
Shots: Conway, Dugan (5)
Providence - 1/5
Boston University - 0/5
Providence - 36
Boston University - 26
The Friars are right back in action on Tuesday (Jan. 15) for the 33rd Mayor's Cup against Brown at Meehan Auditorium.