PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Jack Dugan tied the game with 8:29 remaining as the No. 8 Providence College men's hockey team scratched out a 1-1 tie against Boston University on Thursday night at Schneider Arena. With the tie, the Friars clinch home-ice for the Hockey East Quarterfinals beginning on March 15.
No. 8 Providence - 1 | Boston University - 1
Providence - 20-9-6 (13-7-3 HEA) | Boston University - 13-15-4 (11-8-3 HEA)
Schneider Arena - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 19 saves
Jake Oettinger (BU) - 45 saves
- Chad Krys nearly gave the Terriers an early lead just 43 seconds into the first as he beat the Friar defense to the outside but his backhand deke rang off the post and stayed out.
- Boston University did cash in first at 7:25 of the first period. After Oettinger denied two point-blank chances by the Friars, Shane Bowers finished off a rebound from Joel Farabee to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead.
- The Friars continued to generate multiple chances in the second period, but Oettinger turned away all 14 shots he faced.
- Scott Conway had the highlight of the period as he danced through three Terriers shorthanded and ripped a shot off of Oettinger's knob of his stick.
- After constant pressure in the third period, the Friars finally broke through as Jack Dugan notched his 10th goal of the season with 8:29 remaining. Greg Printz slide a pass to Dugan and he slipped a backhand shot between the legs of Oettinger.
- Wilkins registered an assist on Dugan's goal and now has 96 career points.
- Conway had a game-high six shots on goal.
- It was the seventh time this season that the Friars recorded at least 40 shots on goal.
- It was the first time since March 18, 2016 that Providence did not have a power play opportunity.
- Hawkey appeared in his 118th career game, which is now the most career games played by a goaltender in program history.
- Providence is now 0-0-6 in overtime games this season and they extended its unbeaten streak to five games (4-0-1) with the tie tonight.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (BU) - 8:25/1st- EV - Shane Bowers (Farabee, Curry) - Bowers cleans up a rebound from Farabee on an odd-man rush.
1-1 (PC) - 12:31/3rd - EV - Jack Dugan (Printz, Wilkins) - Printz feathered a pass down low to Dugan who beat slid a backhander between the legs of Oettinger.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Dugan (1)
Assists: Printz, Wilkins (2)
Points: Dugan, Printz, Wilkins (1)
Shots: Conway (6)
Providence - 0/0
Boston University - 0/1
Providence - 46
Boston University - 20
The Friars will return to action next Thursday night for the regular season finale against Boston College. Puck drop is slated for 7 p.m. on NBC Sports Boston.