PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Four players recorded multi-point games as the No. 11/10 Providence College men's hockey team snapped a three-game winless streak with a 5-1 victory over Brown University in the 33rd Mayor's Cup on Tuesday night at Meehan Auditorium.
No. 11/10 Providence - 5 | Brown University - 1
Providence - 13-6-4 (6-4-1 HEA) | Brown University - 5-8-3 (2-4-3 ECAC)
Meehan Auditorium - Providence, R.I.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 13 saves; Gabe Mollot-Hill - 2 saves; Jimmy Scannell - 2 saves
Luke Kania (Brown) - 1 save; Gavin Nieto - 17 saves
- The Friars struck for four goals in the opening 9:00 of the game to take control early.
- Kasper Björkqvist got things started with his 10th goal of the season as he gave the Friars a 1-0 lead on the power play just 3:08 in.
- Greg Printz made it a two-goal cushion 39 seconds later with his eighth goal of the season and first since Dec. 7.
- Josh Wilkins continued his torrid pace as his wrist shot chased Luke Kania from the game and gave Providence a 3-0 lead. It was Wilkins' ninth of the season and third goal in as many games.
- Jack Dugan tacked on Providence's fourth goal of the game 40 seconds later as he slipped a forehand deke between the pads of Gavin Nieto for his eighth goal of the season.
- The Friars extended the lead once again just 2:18 into the second period as Scott Conway notched his team-leading 12th goal.
- The teams combined for only seven shots in the third period and the Friars utilized all three goaltenders over the final nine minutes of play.
- Brown broke the shutout with 5:29 to play on Tristan Crozier's unassisted goal.
- Gabe Mollot-Hill (2 saves) and freshman walk-on Jimmy Scannell (2 saves) each appeared in relief in the third period.
- Wilkins extended his career-long point streak to 13 games (7-12-19). He leads the Friars in scoring with 26 points overall and has scored a goal in three-consecutive games. The point streak is the longest in the NCAA this season.
- Providence improves to 7-3-2 on the road this season and is tied for the national lead with Bowling Green in scoring offense on the road this season at 3.75.
- Conway now has nine goals over his last eight games.
- The Friars have outscored the Bears by a 16-1 margin over the last three Mayor's Cup games and have held the trophy since the 2015-16 season.
- Jason O'Neill registered his first two-point game since Nov. 24, 2017 against Maine in the Friendship Four in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (PC) - 3:08/1st - PP - Kasper Björkqvist (Mirageas) - Rebound off a shot from Mirageas that rang off the post.
2-0 (PC) - 3:47/1st - EV - Greg Printz (Bryson, O'Neill) - Centering feed from the half wall by Bryson to Printz in the slot for the snap shot blocker side.
3-0 (PC) - 8:20/1st - EV - Josh Wilkins (Dugan, Bunz) - Off a chip into the zone, Wilkins collected and fired a wrist shot over the glove of Kania.
4-0 (PC) - 9:00/1st - EV - Jack Dugan (Printz, O'Neill) - Deke on the forward in tight between the legs of Nieto.
5-0 (PC) - 2:18/2nd - EV - Scott Conway (Bryson, Young) - Drop pass from Bryson to Conway who ripped a wrist shot under the crossbar.
5-1 (Brown) - 14:31/3rd - EV- Tristan Crozier (unassisted) - Turnover in front of the Providence net and Crozier tucked a shot under the arm of Mollot-Hill.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Björkqvist, Conway, Dugan, Printz, Wilkins (1)
Assists: Bryson, O'Neill (2)
Points: Bryson, Dugan, O'Neill, Printz (2)
Shots: Björkqvist, Callahan (4)
Providence - 1/3
Brown - 0/2
Providence - 23
Brown - 18
The Friars make a return trip to Chestnut Hill on Saturday (Jan. 19) looking to avenge last weekend's 4-2 loss to Boston College.