HANOVER, N.H. - Josh Wilkins, Scott Conway and Kasper Bjorkqvist scored third period goals as the No. 10/11 Providence College men's hockey team rallied for a 3-1 win over Brown University on Saturday night in day one of the Ledyard Classic. With the win, Head Coach Nate Leaman earned his 300th career win as a Division I head coach.
No. 10/11 Providence - 3 | Brown - 1
Providence - 10-4-3 (6-2-1 HEA) | Brown - 2-7-3 (2-4-3 ECAC)
Thompson Arena - Hanover, N.H.
Hayden Hawkey (PC) - 13 saves
Luke Kania (Brown) - 41 saves
- Providence out-chanced the Bears early and often in the opening 20 minutes, but it was Brown who took a first period lead as Joachim Weberg slammed a rebound past Hayden Hawkey at 10:53 of the first period.
- The Friars couldn't break through Kania in the second period as the sophomore stopped all 11 shots he faced in the middle frame.
- Spenser Young led the PC attack in the second period with three shots on goal.
- Providence out-attempted the Bears by a 23-6 advantage in the second period.
- The Friars drew even at 4:42 of the third period on Wilkins' sixth goal of the season after putting a loose puck past Kania on a delayed penalty.
- After Bjorkqvist had a goal disallowed due to a distince kicking motion, Providence took the lead for good on Scott Conway's re-direct of a Davis Bunz shot at 10:20.
- Bjorkqvist sealed the game into an empty net with 41.5 seconds left with his team-high ninth goal of the season.
- Wilkins extended his career-long point streak to seven games (4-8-12).
- Bjorkqvist currently rides a five-game point streak (3-5-8).
- The Friars have outscored Brown 14-1 over their last three meetings.
- Providence held an opponent to under 15 shots on goal for the third time this season and have outshot their opponents in every game this season.
- The Bears and Friars met for the 100th time, the second time the matchup has been played outside the state of Rhode Island.
- The Friars now hold a season-long five-game unbeaten streak (3-0-2).
- Nate Leaman became the 46th Division I head coach to reach the 300-win milestone.
- Hayden Hawkey appeared in his 100th career game on Saturday night.
HOW THEY SCORED
1-0 (Brown) - 10:53/1st - EV - Joachim Weberg (Marchin, Giuttari) - Rebound from a Marchin shot finished right on the top of the crease.
1-1 (Providence) - 4:42/3rd - DP - Josh Wilkins (Dugan, Bjorkqvist) - Stuffed in a loose puck at the top of the crease on a delayed penalty.
2-1 (Providence) - 10:20/3rd - EV - Scott Conway (Bunz, Thompson) - Re-direct at the top of the crease off a point shot from Bunz.
3-1 (Providence) - 19:20/3rd - EN - Kasper Bjorkqvist (Callahan, Desharnais) - Empty net goal.
PC GAME HIGHS
Goals: Wilkins, Conway, Bjorkqvist (1)
Assists: Six Players (1)
Points: Bjorkqvist (2)
Shots: Conway, Young (7)
Providence - 0/2
Brown - 0/3
Providence - 44
Brown - 14
The Friars will battle tournament host Dartmouth on Sunday night in the Ledyard Classic finale. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.