CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - Led by a hat trick from rookie Sam Hentges, second-ranked St. Cloud State skated away from Kelley Rink with a 7-0 non-conference victory over Boston College (0-4-0) on Thursday night in the Eagles' home opener.
David Hrenak stopped all 32 BC shots he faced for a shutout, including 14 saves in the second period. The Huskies used a three-goal spurt in the span of 1:19 during the middle frame to blow the game open. Nolan Walker added a pair of goals in the win for St. Cloud State, which moved to 5-0-0 on the year.
The Eagles' best chance to cut into the SCSU lead came on an odd-man rush as Marc McLaughlin fed JD Dudek for a one-timer, but Hrenak moved laterally to make the save. Oliver Wahlstrom and Michael Kim led the team with five shots on goal.
BC opens Hockey East play next weekend with a home-and-home series against Merrimack, beginning at Lawler Arena on Friday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m.
- 6:10 1st, SCSU Goal (0-1) | Hentges followed an unexpected carom off the end boards and fired a quick shot past Joseph Woll (11 saves)
- 17:17 1st, SCSU Goal (0-2) | Luke Jaycox beat Woll high short side with a wrist shot from the left wing
- 11:43 2nd, SCSU Goal (0-3) | Jimmy Schuldt attempted a wraparound at the right post and Jack Poehling stuck it home from the left doorstep
- 12:25 2nd, SCSU Goal (0-4) | Hentges notched his second of the night as he buried a backhand rebound opportunity past a sprawling Woll
- 13:02 2nd, SCSU Goal (0-5) | Walker muscled a backhand over the goal line from the left doorstep
- 4:44 3rd, SCSU Goal (0-6) | Hentges capped off his hat trick as he collected a pass down the slot from Jack Achan and deked backhand to beat Ryan Edquist (9 saves)
- 18:09 3rd, SCSU Goal (0-7) | Walker added his second of the game, banking a weak-angle shot off Edquist from the right goal line