BOSTON, Mass. - The Boston University men's ice hockey team dropped a 3-0 contest to No. 17/15 Arizona State on Saturday evening, settling for a weekend split with the Sun Devils.
Joey Daccord made 28 saves to earn his nation-leading seventh shutout of the season while Johnny Walker scored the Sun Devils' final two goals.
BU now stands at 10-10-3 while ASU improves to 17-10-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless opening period, the visitors struck early and late in the middle stanza to take a 2-0 lead.
- With the teams skating 4-on-4, ASU created an odd-man rush and Filips Buncis converted as the trailer in the high slot to open the scoring at 3:05 of the second.
- Johnny Walker pushed the Sun Devils' lead to 2-0 when he redirected a Joshua Maniscalco offering to the back of the net from the middle of the slot with 1:14 left in the second.
- The Sun Devils added an insurance tally in the third when Walker scored from the right circle.
- Making his first collegiate start, freshman Vinnie Purpura recorded 36 saves as ASU held a 39-28 shot advantage.
- BU finishes January with a 4-2-1 record in the month.
BU will close out its five-game homestand on Friday (Feb. 1) when it faces No. 2 Massachusetts.
Game time at Agganis Arena is set for 7:30 p.m.