|2nd||16:01||UNH||1-0||EV||Ara Nazarian (4)||Patrick Grasso/3, Max Gildon/4|
|2nd||16:26||UML||1-1||EV||Ryan Lohin (3)||Colin O'Neill/3, Kenny Hausinger/5|
|3rd||16:15||UML||2-1||EV GW||Ryan Lohin (4)||Colin O'Neill/4, Tyler Mueller/6|
|Shots on Goal||1st||2nd||3rd||SOG|
|Team Stats and Records||PP||PIM||SHGF|
|UMass Lowell (5-6-0)||0/2||1/2||0|
|New Hampshire (6-2-1)||0/1||2/4||0|
|UMass Lowell Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Christoffer Hernberg (W, 5-1-0)||59:56||1||7||7||5||19|
|New Hampshire Goaltending||MIN||GA||1||2||3||Saves|
|Daniel Tirone (L, 6-2-1)||58:26||2||6||12||8||26|
DURHAM, N.H. - University of New Hampshire junior Ara Nazarian (Boxford, Mass.) tallied his fourth goal of the season 16 minutes into the second period to give the #8/9 UNH men's hockey team an early lead over UMass Lowell. The River Hawks answered just 25 seconds later, and with a late goal in the third, defeated the Wildcats, 2-1, at the Whittemore Center on Friday night.
Senior goaltender Danny Tirone (Trumbull, Conn.) made 26 saves in the contest; his record is now 6-2-1 on the season. The Wildcats are now 6-2-1 overall, 3-1-1 in Hockey East, while the River Hawks improve to 5-6-0 overall and 2-5-0 in Hockey East.
The Wildcats are on the road traveling to #15 Boston University on Saturday, Nov. 11 for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop. The Wildcats return home on Friday, Nov. 17, when they face Boston College at 7:00 p.m. at the Whittemore Center. Tickets can be purchased at the Whittemore Center Box Office, online at UNHWildcats.com or by calling 603-862-4000.
Score: UMass Lowell 2, #8/9 New Hampshire 1
Records: New Hampshire (6-2-1, 3-1-1 HEA), UMass Lowell (5-6-0, 2-5-0 HEA)
Location: Durham, N.H. (Whittemore Center)
Date: Friday, Nov. 10, 2017
Time: 7:00 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first period was an even stalemate with UMass Lowell leading the shot chart seven shots to six.
- Nazarian got the scoring started, sniping one from the left-side faceoff circle, assisted by sophomore Patrick Grasso (Ankeny, Iowa) and freshman Max Gildon (Plano, Texas), to give UNH a 1-0 lead 16:01 into the second period.
- Just 25 seconds later, UMass Lowell tied the game back up with a shot from Ryan Lohin from just to the left of Tirone.
- Lohin struck again 16:15 into the third period, tipping in a shot from the left face-off circle to put the River Hawks ahead 2-1.
- The Wildcats pulled the goalie twice in the final two minutes, which resulted in several UNH scoring chances, but none could find the back of the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- UMass Lowell had 28 shots to UNH's 20.
- The River Hawks had the advantage in the faceoff circle with 37 wins to 22 for UNH.
- The Wildcats went 0-1 on the power play, while the River Hawks went 0-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE
- With an assist tonight, Gildon is now on a five-game point streak with four goals, three assists for seven points.
- Tirone now has 2,964 career saves.